new teacher..what to do first day/week

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Momma5, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

new teacher..supplies, what to do first day/week

It is all half days and its a private school so students will be required to buy their own supplies. I was planning on giving out the supply list the first day hoping they could have stuff in by Friday. I was going to give my class rules the first day, but then what? Should I have enough supplies for the entire class the first day like crayons and stuff so they could draw and write about what they did over the summer? I could assess their writing a little then? What should I be doing the other 2 days?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

Many will probably bring basic stuff 1st day. Are you sure the school doesn't supply a list to them already on their website or through the mail?

4. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

Nope. The principal told me I will distribute the list. That's why I am concerned with the kids coming in the first day with no supplies. I did buy a ton of pencils, but I was not sure if I should buy a ton of crayons too so they could do the drawing part of the writing exercise or just forget having them draw?

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

I would read a story and have the children react to it by writing and perhaps drawing a picture. This would give you an idea as to the writing ability of the students. Practice the addition math facts. Use flash cards. My incoming 2nd graders are required to know their addition facts up to 5. Have them share their summer during circle time. Haave them fill out an All About Me sheet. (can get ideas on this from the web)

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

PROCEDURES!!! Practice them, practice them, and practice them AGAIN =)

Get kids familiar with textbooks and with items in the classroom (like books they can read, where to find paper, etc.)