New teacher to the middle grades

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by teacherguy111, Jul 20, 2013.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

hey guys,
    this will be my first year teaching middle school. I will have 6th grade language arts and 8th grade language arts. My school actually tests students into their classes. So I will have students from all middle school grades (6-8) in both sets of classes.

What kind of things should I expect from middle school age children?

I did most of my field experience in the upper elementary school ages so I don't have a ton of experience with this age group... but I also feel that I will enjoy this age a little more.... we will see lol

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 20, 2013

With middle school. expect the unexpected. One day the kids may love you and the next they hate you.

4. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

I'm a new middle school math teacher!!! It's gonna be a blast, I hope... :D

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2013

This isn't quite true.

More accurately, one day they may love themselves and the next day they may hate themselves.

I've never had them just hate me all of a sudden. Sure they've been angry or upset but it is always something internal.

6. Milsey

Milsey Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

It's an emotional rollercoaster, but hang in there. Be strict, don't play favorites, make the subject relatable.

7. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Middle school is a blast! I taught math for the past 5 years and love it! I had mixed classes too and it is fun to watch the kids grow from little kids into neat little people! I've moved to a new school this year and will be teaching business to all three grades again. I can't wait. The only issue I ever had with the mixed classes was when the upper level 6th graders entered a low level 8th grade class. The 8th graders (mostly IEP/ED kiddos) acted out for a day or two because they felt "dumb" and the 6th graders got big heads for a day or two. It all evened out after a few days and they worked together nicely.

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Cohort

Jul 27, 2013

I believe my greatest assets to my kids will be that I am extremely patient and am willing to do things over and over and over until they know it and can do it. I can also explain math in different ways, so, if someone doesn't get it, I will somehow quickly teach it another way.... I think it also helps that I have children that are close to middle school age and I assist with their math homework from time to time. :D

9. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

Thanks for the advice about what to expect guys. I am really looking forward to it!

I have very long periods - 107 minutes 3 times a week and 97 minutes twice a week. This will give me the chance to do a lot of hands on activities. I will also have the chance to put a big focus on all parts of language arts - reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, presenting, research etc.

I am really looking forward to it and I want to be the best teacher that I can be!

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2013

Great attitude! You will do well. Stay positive and stay organized. Good luck.

11. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 13, 2013

Well said. It's sometimes tough to keep this perspective when it feels like a direct attack. I've gotta work on this.