New Teacher Resume: Receiving Conflicting Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

I am going to start applying for teaching jobs soon and I have received conflicting advice about what my resume should look like.

-Right now my resume is one page. My college told me that two pages is a good length for a new teacher resume and I should add more to my resume.
    -I have my student teaching, my pre-practicum experience, my subbing jobs, and my summer teaching job (two summers as experience.) My college said that I need more experience and asked if I did any other jobs in college. I was a camp counselor about 6 years ago and I graded in my college math department (3 years ago). I personally felt like these experiences were a long time ago and relate less to teaching than my other experiences but my college said that it shows my commitment to kids and teaching. Should these experiences go on my resume? This would make my resume go over a page.
    -My college said that I should include relevant coursework from my undergrad and graduate program on my resume, but I received advice on this forum to remove this.
    -I had my licensure on my resume, but my college said to remove it and include it in my cover letter instead.

I would appreciate any advice on these aspects of a new teacher resume. Thank you!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

Some of that advice makes no sense to me. They are telling you to include relevant coursework, but not to include your licensure? I would do the exact opposite. My transcript details my relevant coursework. Schools care more that you have the appropriate certification.

I was always told to try to keep it to 1 page unless you have such extensive experience that you need to expand it. When I was just applying for math teaching jobs out of college, I did one page, and had no trouble securing interviews in a rather competitive state. If I were to update my resume now (6 years later), then MAYBE it would stretch to two.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

^
    Do you think my experience as a camp counselor and a grader for college math courses would belong on my resume?

5. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Feb 4, 2018

My university has told me that one page, front and back (so two pages in a word processing document) is okay. They said to include all relevant experience, and a few relevant courses.

Don't feel like you have to keep the 1-inch margins you use on your papers and such, resumes tend to have smaller margins. Most of the samples I've seen and resumes that I see other people making use half-inch margins.

(I'm also a new teacher, but I went to a preliminary interview yesterday and had a high school principal tell me my resume looked good so it must be alright.)

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

^
    How far back are you going for relevant experience?

7. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Feb 4, 2018

Admittedly I didn't have many calls to make as far as that went. Outside of my practicum and student teaching experiences, I've had one job for the last ten years.

If you can include them and keep it to one page front and back, I would go ahead and do so. (No need to include references on your resume, just in case you have them on there right now.)

I included licensure information in my heading (English teacher, grades 6-12)

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

I think I'm going to keep my licensure information. I'm still trying to figure out if relevant coursework is important. What did your university say about that?

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

I would say if you have extra space, yes, but it wouldn't hurt to leave it off either. I worked in high school (and a few years after) as a supervisor at a fast food joint. Normally I would leave off "fast food" on a teaching resume, but I figured that since, as a supervisor, I had to train and teach my employees, it was relevant. That said, I didn't put lots of bullets and descriptions under there like I did for student teaching or more recent stuff. I simply put the job and a 1-line description of it (which focused on the training/teaching aspect of it).

If you are really close between 1-2 pages, I am sure you can play with the spacing and/or font size to keep it down. I had one page, but it was size 10 font.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

My thought is to follow Metal Teacher's advice and keep these two experiences but print them on the back. I can't make them fit on the front page but I figure it can't hurt to print it on the back. I'll keep the more relevant teaching experience on the front. The issue is that if I include relevant coursework, my summer teaching, which is relevant would have to go on the back page.

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

More relevant stuff should go before less relevant stuff. If "relevant coursework" is replacing "relevant experience", that is a problem. Period.

The other thing to consider about relevant coursework is that if a school is hiring many teachers from a nearby university, many of them will have similar coursework. If they know of the university's program, they should know of the coursework in entails already.

To me, just having two little blurbs on the back looks sloppy, and like you couldn't be bothered to think through your presentation. I could be overthinkoing that though.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

I see what you mean. Would you recommend I leave off relevant coursework and the grader and counselor jobs if it caused my resume to go over two pages?

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2018

2 pages looks padded for a new teacher who has never had a classroom of his/her own

Peregrin5 likes this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

Would you also recommend I leave off coursework and the grader and counselor jobs?

I was also thinking that two pages seems like a lot.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 4, 2018

I would try to keep it on one side if I were you. Definitely list your certifications on your resume. You can always mention pertinent coursework in a cover letter.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2018

As far as pertinent coursework, your transcript has it all. If there are specific courses that you took to specifically increase knowledge/proficiency that would be above and beyond that of most new teachers, perhaps it belongs on the resume, with a short rationale. I'm not in favor of the counselor job, but the college job seems more relevant (to me). Licensure seems relevant to me, tucked right in with college studies and any majors.

Are they going to grade you on this, or is this "in their opinion"? If it is just their opinion, do some reading and study on resumes, and then do as you believe is most correct. I, for one, have little faith in some of what colleges pass as "great creations."

17. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Feb 4, 2018

Definitely include the certification. I have my certifications listed before my experience because they are so important to schools. Especially if you have ESL or SPED certs, you'll definitely want those highlighted and they aren't obvious to schools if you majored in Secondary Ed and Mathematics (or whichever subject).

I never included pertinent coursework on a resume. Seems unnecessary to me because schools are going to assume you've been exposed to this work during your education and can easily look at your transcripts.

I feel like the jobs you currently have listed are enough (the student teaching, pre-practicum, subbing, and summer teaching). It shows you have plenty of experience working with kids so the camp and grading jobs would just be gravy. If you're looking to fill space though, go for it. I was happy though once I had enough experiences and jobs to leave the high school and summer jobs off my resume. I think it's best to focus on jobs that are in the classroom and looks more professional.

One thing I included on my resume that you hadn't mentioned was accolades and awards. Deans List, scholarship recipient, etc. I played softball in college and competed in NCAA tournaments which I included in this area. I thought it was useless at first, but you wouldn't believe how many Ps commented on this during an interview. Many sports lovers out there and it speaks to working as a team.

I've always been told keep it to one page (front and back).

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 4, 2018

Thank you so much for all the help!

I have deleted relevant coursework and I have room for one more job and keep my resume at a page. I have also added my certification.I have decided to add a camp counselor job from 2013 instead of the grader/ta job from 2015. In the counselor job, I worked with middle school students so I figured this would make sense. What do you guys think?

19. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Feb 4, 2018

My resume is still one page, and I'm a practicing teacher. Mine includes:

-Name (biggest font on paper) and contact information in the header.
    -Certification
    -Degree information (name of degree, school, GPA, date of graduation, honors) for my BS and MAE
    -Classroom Experience including teaching jobs, substitute teaching, and student teaching
    -Relevant non-classroom experience

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2018

Being a camp counselor isn't going to get you hired. And it's five years ago. And not a school setting. The TA job is more recent.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 4, 2018

These are just my preferences, but I always keep my resume to one page, front side only. I only list my most recent relevant experiences, professional developments, etc. but no course work. If I have more experience from a long-time past that I think was relevant but it doesn't fit on the page it gets cut. They're more interested in what you've done recently. Definitely include certifications as that is the first/only thing employers look for.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.