New teacher, I don't know why I am so tired

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kgquick118, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 11, 2018

.... *more nervous laughter* probably at least the first month I'll be up at 2.30/3 and at school by 5.30.

2. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 11, 2018

Over 25+ years here, and I am still exhausted after the first week. Teaching is exhausting. I have found 5 things that are really important, but probably not surprising to most.

1. Vitamins each day--especially a multi-vitamin
    2. Exercise 3 to 5 times a week for 20+/min day
    3. A power nap--25-30 minutes is my preference. Often do this shortly after I get home or after dinner. Even if you don't fall asleep, the resting really helps. I don't recommend naps over an hour each day.
    4. A good night sleep. With no nap-7 1/2 hours+/ night. With a power nap, 6 1/2 hours+/night.
    5. Always have breakfast with either some protein (even if it is just milk) or fruit.

The nice thing about how tiring teaching is it makes it easier to fall asleep at night. Hope your year is a great one!

futuremathsprof and ms.irene like this.
  3. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2018

It's exhausting and full of stress even when it seems it's not.
    You are making hundreds of decisions. Answering hundreds of questions. Trying to stay organized. Trying to stay happy. Trying to stay healthy. Balancing home and school routine. You think you have it all...but your body recognizes the change. Nap is the best solution.

stephenpe and readingrules12 like this.
  4. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 14, 2018

Teaching is exhausting! My legs and feet are always super sore after the first week and I'm on my 7th year. It gets better!

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 14, 2018

I honestly think it's because we do ~nothing~ for two months or so and then we go from that activity level to, well, teaching. It's like starting a new job all over again, takes time to get used to it again. I've figured out if I keep up with my exercise over the summer it's not AS BAD... But let's be honest here...I get lazy on the summer.

ms.irene likes this.
  6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2018

This makes me remember my first year teaching (1978). I was teaching middle school math and 6th grade was giving me a fit. I would go home to our small apt. lie on the bed and stare at the ceiling wondering what has God wrought. Then I would go run five miles. That along with chatting with my AP helped me greatly. After about 7 weeks I had them figured out and loved it. Loved it enough to teach for 39 more years.

ecteach and ms.irene like this.
  7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 17, 2018

I am usually unable to function the first week. After that it gets better.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 17, 2018

I cannot wait to go home and sleep tonight! This was our first week and I'm completely wiped out.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 17, 2018

We don't go back until Sept 6. I am so glad the first day this year is on a Thursday. Having the first week start on a Monday or Tuesday is always rough----at least with Thursday it's a super short week to ease us into things. With my classes it's particularly easy. Day #1=intro and review of summer work, Day #2=quiz on summer work. Then we start the new material fresh the following Monday.

10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 18, 2018

Not gonna lie... Those first three days back have kicked my hind quarters.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2018

I just finished the first week of school. I got nine hours of sleep last night, and I'm still unable to move without pain or do anything productive. Both the beginning and ending of the school year are truly exhausting, no matter how long you've been doing it.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 18, 2018

Get a facial and massage. Also, go see a good chiropractor. I’m telling you, your life will be forever changed. I now make sure to do these things at least once a week now. I’m a new man after these self-indulgences.

It’s funny, my P has always said he loves getting facials and we always laughed it off, but once I got one I became frustrated that I’ve been missing out for so long.

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2018

I actually had scheduled a massage for yesterday, thinking that it would be the perfect way to end the first week of school. Unfortunately, my regular masseuse had car trouble and had to cancel. So, I'll reschedule for another day soon.

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 18, 2018

Yes, definitely reschedule! You owe it to yourself.

15. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 19, 2018

Okay y'all I'm going to admit I didn't sleep Friday night hardly at all. Then it was all day yesterday (my mum was in town and we went shopping). I slept so good last night. I think I may have flat lined for a bit. I woke up this morning had like four missed calls which usually my phone will wake me up. Now waiting for the husband figure to get here so we can get some breakfast.