New Teacher classroom setup/supplies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Education4all, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I will be teaching 5th and it is my first year. I need to know what essentials I'll need to buy so I am ready to setup my classroom. I have no idea what was left in the room. I do not know if there will be books or shelves or what. I will get a day or two this summer to go setup so I'm curious what to bring. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 26, 2015

Take cleaning supplies and a few trash bags for the first visit. Things get dusty and yucky packed away for the summer. Also take a measuring tape and something to take notes. You'll also need more than a few days to get a new room situated.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2015

Dont spend ANY money until you know what youre dealing with...Custodians in my school would give you a big trash can and cleaning supplies if you needed....even then, be careful of what you throw away. One year a new teacher in my school threw away a fairly new FOSS science kit her team shared:eek: Call your school and see how soon you can get in to the classroom. Also ask if you have a classroom budget for supplies. Good luck and congrats!

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2015

Agree with cza- don't spend a penny until you know what you have!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 26, 2015

Will you have access to a school library? Do you know if you will be doing whole-class reading of novels? If that is so, you might want to look into affordable ways of acquiring books.

7. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jun 26, 2015

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot that the room may be a mess and need cleaning.

8. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jun 26, 2015

I'm in a similar position... I know the room as I subbed in there. I just don't know what will be left there in the way of books. I have art stuff and games that I plan on taking in with me. I'm in a 5/6.

I go in a week and half and will get a better idea then. I was told they stock me up with dry erase markers, pens, glue, basics... And, I will have a budget. I'm waiting to see what state it is in. :) Pretty sure I'll paint it, though. :)

Do you know what they will provide? Some schools have decorating supplies, but I do know that many teachers buy their own. I'll buy my own borders and stuff like that so I can reuse it.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 26, 2015

I agree that you should wait until you see what's in there, but I would say there's a pretty good chance you're going to need books. I don't see another teacher just leaving an entire classroom library there, even if they were retiring.

It couldn't hurt to start scouting library sales, eBay, Goodwill, etc for books. Or, you could wait until you see what you're dealing with. That might be safer. :)

10. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jun 26, 2015

The books were a concern I was wondering what to do about. Someone told me if there are no books then the school library should be able to stock me at first.

I didn't even interview with the principal of that school. I interviewed with other principals and there were numerous openings so I didn't even know my school site until recently. I just feel I'm left in the dark waiting on a call for when the school will be open to go check out things. I've asked for pacing guides and couldn't get an adequate resource. I'm just not going to get too stressed over these things I have no control over. I am just getting all my procedures laid out and how I want to run my classroom. As a first year teacher and doing btsa I would have thought there would be a bit more support than I have gotten. I guess I'm on my own.