New Student

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teachingtots, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

I was just wondering if anyone else is getting new students at this point in the year? I got a new boy in my class a few weeks ago and then today I got a new girl. My question...Who moves in APRIL!? I know, I know...there were probably life circumstances that warranted it but it's so hard getting new kids up to speed!

Just needed to vent! :)

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

Everyday new kids come and go for me. Just last week I got 2 back I had at the beginning of the year, and another at my other building moved from a different building.

I'll be getting them I'm sure the next month or so. I just lost like 6 today...

4. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Apr 1, 2009

I lost one a week before spring break (meaning she's going somewhere else) and gained one the week after spring break. Both were from military families.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 1, 2009

I've had four students move over the past two months, and I've gotten four new students to replace them! It's quite frustrating, actually--especially since my kids will be taking the CST (California Standards Test) in just a few weeks. Their scores will be reported under MY NAME (as their teacher), and unfortunately, the State of California doesn't care whether or not they've been in my class all year long or two weeks long!

Oh, one more thing--the four students who have moved were among my HIGHEST students. They were bright, well-behaved, and are missed very much! Needless to say, the four students who replaced them are low, low, low!

Sorry about the venting! I'm normally a very positive and upbeat kind of guy. Had to get that off my chest, though!

6. krisssg

krisssg New Member

Apr 2, 2009

I recently got a new one, bright but seems as though he may have a social disorder such as aspergers or something. He is bright but strange. I think it is normal to have students come and go all year long or at least that is they way it is at my school.

7. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

Here in Argentina this situation is not so common...
    Parents set up the school year in a particular school and try (as long as they can) to Stay there.

Classes begin in March, Winter Holidays in July and end of classes in December.

Regarding second grade, from 2008 to 2009 there were 4 kids who moved, but that was parents` decision and BEFORE STARTING THE ScHOOL YEAR .

In your situation... I imagine it is hard to adapt the group, you!!!! and the new ones. I assume that in some ocasions you need to start from scratch, I mean routines, daily activities, etc

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Apr 2, 2009

I got a new one at the beginning of March and two more at the veeerrrrry end of March.

9. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

I'm getting a new girl next Monday, the day before our standardized testing period begins. Her family moved to our area from out-of-state. Several years ago, I had a student transfer to my class 3 weeks before the very end of the school year. She had just been placed with a foster family in our area. There are so many reasons for kids to transfer late in the school year. Ours is not to question why. . .

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 3, 2009

Two years ago, I got a new student TWO WEEKS before the end of school. Yes, it was around May 1, and we get out May 15. And the worst part was, he was from the next town over...the parents had to drive him to our town. They were going to be moving to our town, and didn't want to wait TWO WEEKS.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2009

Last year we had a couple of students start with us for the last 2 weeks of school. The family had just moved into their new home and wanted the children to become familiar with the school and meet some of the other kids before the summer.

12. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Apr 3, 2009

I had one leave Friday and got a new boy on Wednesday. He didn't come yesterday because mom couldn't find his ADHD pills. She actually let him ride the bus to school but as soon as he got to school she took him home??????? Who know???? He hasn't been in school very much so we know he will already be retained. He can't use a fork so picks at things with his hands. The whole situation is very strange.

13. corney

corney Companion

Apr 3, 2009

Wow and here I am hoping to be transfered during the summer so I don't disrupt my child at school. I guess everyone's priorities are different. :D

14. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 3, 2009

We constantly have new kids coming and leaving. My rank book is a mess full of scratched out names and new ones added!

15. Moving Again

Moving Again New Member

Apr 5, 2009

My family is moving back to the States from an overseas assignment and we have little control over our kids being able to complete school here. It was in our plan to be here until they finished the school year. Somethings are beyond our control. They will only be at their new school for a little less than a month before the school year ends. They are in 3rd grade and Kindergarten. Trust me - this is stressful for the parents as well.:dizzy:

16. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Apr 5, 2009

Last year I got one four DAYS before the end of school.
    And...he didn't come on the last day!

17. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Apr 15, 2009

I had a new student come the Friday before Good Friday! I thought that was kind of crazy to start at a new school the day before the weekend and before a big break. Plus Fridays are always the days that I do my weekly math, reading, and spelling assessments so I didn't have a whole lot for him to do except pre-assess him. But seriously, what a day for him to start. :eek:

I understand why parents wouldn't want their child to miss school due to moving that is necessary for a job or life situation...thank you for your family's service, Moving Again...it's got to be hard getting the kids acclimated to a new school so late in the year, I'm sure. My husband is deployed right now but my daughter and I are lucky to be around family and in the U.S. while he's gone.

18. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 15, 2009

I think you get the gold medal.