New Math Teacher looking for Test making Software

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Hector.Arias, May 24, 2017.

1. Hector.Arias

Hector.Arias Rookie

May 24, 2017

As the title says I am curious how some of my fellow Math teachers make their Tests/Quizzes. I am hoping there is something better than Microsoft Word. In my opinion Word is pretty horrid for making tests. I can use LaTeX but I am not fully sure how I could implement some pre made graphs that way. Anyways hopefully someone can help me out in finding some solid software. Also I may add that I am using a Mac so please a Mac friendly program! Thank you

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 24, 2017

I like to use Kuta software for some of my material. It is well worth what you pay for it (and you may get your school to pay for it) and allows you to customize your lessons to suit your class and its needs. Plus, if I have 18 kids taking a quiz, I can print 18 versions immediately. Highly recommend taking a look at it.

Hector.Arias likes this.
  4. Hector.Arias

Hector.Arias Rookie

May 25, 2017

Will do thank you so much for your suggestion.

5. HMM

HMM Cohort

May 25, 2017

In LaTeX

[​IMG]

you can use
    \includegraphics[scale=1]{•}

scale=1 give the image just as it was saved
    scale=.5 would scale dimensions by 50%

the dot is where you put the file.

for example (from one of my exams)

\includegraphics[scale=.5]{2017_spring_math_320_Final.png}

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

May 26, 2017

If you're able to give tests online, check out Edulastic: https://www.edulastic.com/

It's pretty neat - tons of different question formats and some decent data analysis (although I wish it let you cut the data in more ways more easily).

You can print the tests but I haven't been that impressed with the printed formatting so I'd stick to using it online personally.

7. Hector.Arias

Hector.Arias Rookie

May 26, 2017

Previously I have used LaTeX and love it but I wasn't sure if it was to bland of a format for high school students. Also my issue is if I want to provide a function graph I don't know how to build one unless somehow there is a premade image. But I rather be able to come up with my own function and it accurately is portrayed on the graph.

8. sportsguy

sportsguy Rookie

Jun 2, 2017

My old district used OARS which was amazing. It's a database of thousands of SBAC-style questions that you can't find in a textbook. Just click on a standard and there's hundreds of questions to choose from. Unfortunately I don't work for that district anymore, and OARS is being phased out for Illuminate Education but it's basically the same - worth looking into.

Kuta is great for arithemetic-based problems and you can customize questions to type in anything you want, however it doesn't go to the rigor and worded problems that the SBAC asks of students. I've had to use the "custom question" for every assessment this year because Kuta doesnt go past level 1 questions that ask students to calculate, solve, or simplify something.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 3, 2017

Check with your district. I have a test making program in our data program. I don't always like it, but it is free and has the format I need.

Hector.Arias likes this.
  10. Hector.Arias

Hector.Arias Rookie

Jun 5, 2017

Ya the school is using Google classroom which i wont have access to until then end of July and I just worry that it might not be enough time for me to learn it and use it to the abilities that I would like. That is why I am just looking for backup plans that I can use now. Its looking like I will be using LaTeX in the meantime and probably in the foreseeable future as well. I appreciate all your inputs and if anyone else has any other softwares they'd like to share please do so!