New Jersey Teaching Jobs??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsTiger, Dec 17, 2017.

1. MsTiger

MsTiger Rookie

Dec 17, 2017

Hi, my family is planning on making the move from Brooklyn to New Jersey. Does anyone know much about the teaching job market in New Jersey? Are there areas where its impossible to get a job? Or more likely to get a job? Tough areas? Nice areas?

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 17, 2017

There's definitely some competition for teaching jobs here. You would have an easier time finding a job in some of the urban areas, but those are definitely tougher places to teach. What part of the state are you moving to, and what is your grade/subject?

4. MsTiger

MsTiger Rookie

Dec 17, 2017

We are looking at Ridgewood and Montclair. I have spent most my teaching career in 4th and 5th grade.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 17, 2017

Those are both quite nice areas. The downside to that is that there would be a great deal of competition for elementary teaching jobs in those districts. If you are looking for less competition for the jobs, you are pretty close to Newark and Paterson, which always seem to be hiring. Obviously those districts are going to be tougher to work in, and will have more problems, but it will be easy to secure positions there.

Check out https://k12jobspot.com/ and https://www.njschooljobs.com/ . In doing a quick search, there are elementary jobs, but most of the ones I see are in urban areas, and many are also charter schools.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2017

Do you have your NJ certificate?

I live and teach in Bergen county (not far from Ridgewood). Getting a teaching job in this area is competitive but not impossible. Grade 5 tends to be middle school in many districts, while grade 4 is still elementary. You'll want to be well versed in workshop model for literacy, PARCC, and the NJ state standards.

7. MsTiger

MsTiger Rookie

Dec 20, 2017

I am currently only NYS certified. I will need to get my NJ certificate.

I am very comfortable with workshop model and I taught 5th grade last year in a departmentalized model and loved it! When do you they start interviews for next year? :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2017

April/May. Although some districts will still be hiring right up thru August due to student population needs, retirements, etc.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 26, 2017

It’s very hard to get into Newark elementary without some connection to the district. Paterson is always in a constant state of turnover. In my experience, teachers with several years of experience tend to get picked up, even after non renewals. You need to apply for the cert tomorrow. It takes 8 weeks.

3Sons likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2017

8 weeks? :rofl:

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 26, 2017

That’s how long it took to get my admin ones done. Granted it was summer so they had a batch of graduating seniors to do, but same can be said for January.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2017

Oh, do you work as a VP or P?

3Sons likes this.
  13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

Not at the moment but I got all my certs processed in the summer. I have a quasi-admin roll which is a fancy way of saying im paid like a teacher with lots of extra stuff to do.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2017

Would you say that you are paid comparable to an administrator with all of your extra duties or no?

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

Hahahahaha. Not even close to the same pay. I’m paid on the teacher scale.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2017

Let me say that the last certificate I received took 12 weeks to clear. That was at the end of this past summer, so if OP wants certificates in hand, there should be no delay in trying to acquire the NJ certs. I don't know anything about about how teacher's tests you may have will be accepted in NJ, so sooner is always better, just in case they require that you pass the Praxis exams.

We are about to enter 2018, realistically there may be a 12 week wait for credentials to clear, and I don't know about taking the Praxis exams, which would add another month, minimum, to the credential time frame, which means that if you want to have clear credentials when applying for jobs you are quickly coming upon the latest date to get the ball rolling for certificate acquisition. Good luck!

MsTiger and AlwaysAttend like this.
  17. MsTiger

MsTiger Rookie

Jan 4, 2018

Ok Good Advice! I've started the process of getting my New Jersey Teaching Certificate and it looks like there is reciprocity with New York. I do see a physiology & Hygiene component that looks like can be filled from a college level biology/health class. I'm thinking my undergrad biology class would fulfill that.

Also, I'm wondering is it common that most teachers in New Jersey have their National Board Certification?

Snow Day in New York :hearteyes:

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 4, 2018

No it is not common to have completed National Boards. It’s a big process to undertake.

19. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 4, 2018

They still made me take the hygiene test even though I took a biology course. I went to the county superintendent office and it took 10 mins. It was pretty easy and I never got my results. I assume I passed since I got my license (I’m also from out of state).

AlwaysAttend and futuremathsprof like this.
  20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 4, 2018

It has to be a biology class that covers health related topics. Like a course on human sexuality for example. At my university you could choose that or one other to meet the requirement.

jadorelafrance likes this.
  21. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2018

So glad to hear that you are well into the process. I didn't have to take the biology/health test, but I had a ton of biological science courses, even at the graduate level, so maybe they found something they liked! Glad this is going to be an easy process for you.