New here....

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teacher13, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Hi everyone... I just found out yesterday that I am moving from kindergarten to 2nd grade... I am so upset, but I have no choice. I taugh kindergarten for 3 year.... but do have some 4th/3rd grade experience before that. Just a couple of questions for all you 2nd grade questions....

When/how do you check homework

What kind of name tag to you use for the desk(was at teacher store, didnt know if i should get the ones with the script alphabet and addition chart and color names/shapes and all that, or just plain ones)

what does you morning meeting consist of ?

Thanks soo much!!

3. mswife

mswife Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I sent you a PM!

4. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

to New here...

I send home a homework folder Mon-Thurs and put a sticker on it if it comes back the next day with the homework completed. They love seeing what sticker they get, and they are really full of stickers by the end of the year. Of course, you ask parents to donate stickers... just mention it at Back to School Night or in your welcome letter and you'll probably get more than you need. I quickly look over homework and recycle. They don't need any more papers to come home that have already been there... lol!

As far as name tags... I have used zillions of different ones and have not been happy with anything other than white file folder labels that I run through my printer with their name and maybe a little sticker or graphic put on... then I cover it with clear package tape. Those big name tags look horrible by Christmas, the corners all rolled up, etc... I even purchased that huge tape roll from Really Good Stuff to cover them - they still looked horrible. Finally just dealt with little name tag in the corner and have been happy ever since. If you want to use those big name tags because they have shapes, alphabet, map, etc... just laminate and they can keep in their desk.

5. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I agree that those big desk tags are an inconvenience by Christmas...but how do you get the file folder labels off the desks at the end of the year?

6. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

very easy to take the labels off... just peel off the tape and spray with water.. scrapes right off in a jiffy!

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 17, 2007

The name tags I use are from Really Good Stuff (manuscript) and I put velcro on them. They seem to work better than the sticky stuff on the back of the name tag. Since we teach cursive after the winter break, I purchase the small name tag with cursive letters.

8. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I don't use name 'tags' as hard as some people find that. Instead, I have a work folders, a portable tool for my students. I create a sticker sheet with the information I want handy for my students. It includes their name, an example of the alphabet in our handwriting style, a number line and # grid from our math program, an area to place their latest WCPM #, and a simple math fact timing record of test currently working and their goal. I add new labels as needed.
    The folders themselves are to house many items. One side for other tools: word book, copied phonics booklets, science journal, etc. The other side is to house work in progress.

Good luck finding what works for you!

9. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I just write their names on their actual desk in a big fat Sharpie or other permanent marker. It eventually wears off with the janitors spraying down the desks and I have to re-write it once in a while. But it is super easy to change, just spray that white board spray on it and wipe off.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2007

The first six weeks of school, I have the students turn in their whole homework folder and I go through it when they are at PE. After the first six weeks, I wean them from me digging through their folders to get parent notes, homework, and t-shirt money. There are a few kids that I usually have to pick up and look through their folders all year, but most of the kids learn the routine very well.

I have a project folder with a hundreds chart, place value chart, number words to one hundred, number line, skip counting chart, two-dimensional and three dimensional shapes, opinion words, affixes and their meanings, capitalization and punctuation rules, editing checklist, and some more info that I can't think of right now hole punched and put into the brads of the folder. They can use their project folder whenever they need to, unless we are taking a test. We also keep our ongoing projects in the folder so they don't get lost.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2007

I'm not sure if you are upset because you didn't want to leave kinder or that you were unexpectedly moved so close to the school year, but I think you will find second grade to be very enjoyable. I think it's the best grade to teach!! :2up:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007