New Bill Will Start: School Starting No Earlier Than 8:30am

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, May 15, 2017.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 15, 2017

I just saw this on this morning's news. My state of CA, they said, will be the first state in the nation when the bill goes into effect. Now, that might be for middle & high schools. Other states might have already started for the elementary level.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 15, 2017

Our high schools start last, but we start at 8:20. They lengthened our school days so that we could have more breaks and get our earlier. It's a fair trade, I think!

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 15, 2017

I think that's great, but I worry about districts that cannot afford to bus multiple levels at the same time: a nearby district has this issue, and this would mean that one school would have to start at 10:00 or so, which would lead to dismissing at 4:30 at the earliest. Yikes!

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 15, 2017

Our school starts at 7:40. I came from a school that started at 8:20. Late start was way better, and students were way more alert (as was I).

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 15, 2017

Interesting. I hadn't heard about this. We are an early start school (7:40). The middle schools start pretty late (9:15). The staggered times are due to bussing issues.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2017

I agree that a later start time is better for students. I, however, prefer an early start time for myself. I like getting started earlier when I feel fresher and more energized, and I really dislike the later dismissal time. The past couple of years I've gotten out of school several hours later than I did during my first decade or so in the classroom, and the change has been a challenge for me.

MrTempest likes this.
  8. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

May 15, 2017

Has the bill officially passed the state senate? This is the most recent article I could find on it.

I think it's a good idea overall, although districts might have to finagle their transportation and child care around having older students going in later.

9. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 15, 2017

It's great when politicians control school systems.

Southern JC and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 15, 2017

I can't see this happening in my area. We start together and end together because everyone K-12 rides the same buses.

11. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 15, 2017

We have three start times. 7:15 (high school) 8:15 (middle school and elementary) and 9:15 (elementary). The time are based on the number of buses and the routes they drive.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 15, 2017

I just reread the article. It says CA secondary schools; therefore, elementary sites shouldn't be affected.

If the bill passes, schools in my area won't need to change anything. Middle and high schools start pretty darn late!

ms.irene likes this.
  13. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

May 15, 2017

It's probably a good idea to start later. Because of busing issues, start times changed quite a bit when I was in JH and HS- once in the middle of a semester. We had been on a two-tier system with JH and HS on the same bus, but we had to go to three-tier between overcrowding and traffic problems. HS started class at 7:10 and it was awful. They moved us earlier to accommodate HS students who look after grade school siblings. Starting that early became a safety issue because kids were driving country roads in the dark for most of the year, which was a hazard during harvest/planting time and when it got icy. The other problem with the early start was that all of the competitive activities kept their times, so students were getting to bed at the same time but starting class earlier.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

May 16, 2017

In the last district I worked in the high school started early, a little after 7 I think. Then the middle school then elementary school. I liked it because I was out of there before 2pm!!