never thought going back to school would be this difficult!

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by sjcgirl07, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Feb 11, 2009

Hello,
    I did my bachelors and graduated in 2007. Took a year and a half off and then decided well if i can't find a job and if in reality what i want to do is teach special education. That I might as well go back and get my masters in Special Education. Stepping back into a classroom was the easy part. But the whole trying to remember terms and stuff that i learned in my first few years of my bachelors degree is the problem. Getting back into the habit of doing assignments that are given to me instead of being a substitute teacher and giving the assignments to the kids and having control of a class. This is totally different. I know graduate school is different then a bachelors and harder. But I am not getting used to the fact of having to do assignments and being graded again...AHHH!

3. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Feb 11, 2009

Does anyone know anything about social or educational validity and have examples..it is an assignment and even though i have definitions don't know what you would give for examples for these.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

I know what you mean about how hard it is to go back to school. I was forced to resign last year and went back to school full time the first two weeks of school. Then, I was hired to teach kinder. I kept my two night classes, though. But the first two weeks where I was just going to my classes was weird!!!!!! I graduated with my BS degree way back in 2005. I graduated from high school in 2000. So, I was taking these classes along side with all of these kids that are like 8 years younger than me!!! I never felt so old and out of place!

This is my second quarter of taking evening classes. Next month, I will be pink slipped due to budget issues and will probably go back to school full time. Oh, and I JUST bought a backpack. BOY does it feel weird to wear it. :D I feel just like a kid. I haven't had a real backpack since high school.

5. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Feb 11, 2009

i graduated in 2007 with my bs. So not too long ago. But i took a year and a half off before deciding it was ok to go back. and am in classes with people who are teaching at the same time or just got out of their bs. So i feel like way alone in all the stuff only going to school full time and not remembering half the educational terms i learned in my BS degree because you don't really use them in a classroom. When would you tell the kids about social and eductional validity?

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

Well, I have no clue what you mean by social and educational validity (I guess I would have to hear it in context), but I understand what you mean about forgetting some technical terms. There are a LOT of terms that I have learned or finally "got" now that I am teaching, and then there are a lot of terms that I have forgotten because I just don't use it (for example, lesson planning terms). I would aks your teacher about your question.

7. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Feb 11, 2009

it has to do with special eduction and assessment which i learned along time ago..how great.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2009

I hear you - I have a BA, but am taking 4 classes to get a permanent certificate.

I have never had so many projects in my life! And after a night class - I can't even suggest we go out for a drink because no one is 21! I feel so weird, like the token old person. And since I already taught... it just seems odd that I'm learning all this "theory" that in practice just isn't feasible in the classroom!

9. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

Hey Buddy,
    Me too!!! I am surprised that the Professors are so unaware of what is really going on in our Public Schools. Are they really that far removed from the real world and if so, aren't they doing the future teachers a grave disservice by not addressing the real issues they will be facing? Just my :2cents:

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

BETH!!!!!! I missed you!

Seriously. Like these lesson plans I'm learning to write? I love UBD so far, but for unit planning. The three page script-style daily plan? If I did that for every day, every prep, I'd do NOTHING but plan!

Don't even get me started the behavior theories. With 120 kids every day, how am I supposed to individually conference about behavior and performance?

11. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

Hey Buddy,
    I can't believe what I have encountered~(and you can just imagine the restraint I have to utilize to keep my mouth shut!!!) The class I am required to take from Fldoe is :educational assessment to include the content measured by state achievement tests and the interpretation and utilization of data to improve student achievement.I was looking forward to getting a better understanding of reading all the different ways to interpret the graphic data pertaining to fcat scores, you know; lowest 25% grouped by different factors as well as how to correlate the info.~Well, the FAU class that fulfills this requirement is an indept look at the EAP and SSS. Basically what we have to do is put together a portfolio that we can use in a job interview. Gimme a break. It's not that this info. isn't important, it's just that this is not what the state is expecting me to learn. I don't think FAU should be allowed to use this class as a fulfillment to that requirement. I'm pissed that I will be spending precious time on this instead of being given the course that I need. Do you know what I mean or did I ramble too much?
    I feel like calling the Fldoe and letting them know they need to reanalyze FAU's policies. Because, after all, I am paying them to teach me what I need to know and if they are playing around with the rules due to budgets etc., Fldoe should know.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

Beth, I have the same class requirement on my SoE. I'm taking it at the state in my town. I hear the word "FCAT" at least 700 times a class. We're learning about mean, median, mode; how to write effective tests; different types of classroom assessments; how to analyze data from our own classroom tests/essays and the FCAT; and the occasional lesson in grammar (she's also an English teacher).

It's kind of a PITA but I'm enjoying it. Come up north and take it with me :)

13. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

That is exactly the type of class that I need and to take it with you would be an added bonus!!! Wish there was some way to make it possible. Boo FAU.
    p.s. what's a PITA?

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2009

Pain In The A$$ - my dad always called me that when I was a kid!

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

:rofl::toofunny::rofl:

I'll call you this weekend!