Negotiating salary...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacherella, May 28, 2008.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

May 28, 2008

Can you negotiate your salary in private schools (Christian school to be exact)? I know this can't be done in public schools, but I thought Christian schools might be more flexible. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before. If so, what did you say and were you successful? Thanks.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 28, 2008

I haven't negotiated necessarily (and I teach in a public school), but I was able to get the super to count my full year maternity leave position as a year of experience on the salary guide when I got my current job. Apparently I was lucky in that respect because they don't do that for a lot of people. I felt really good that they valued my year in kindergarten. Maybe you will be able to talk to HR about that when you are offered a job:)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 28, 2008

I'm sure you could attempt to negotiate your salary. I'm not entirely sure how you could do that, but there must be ways.

Keep in mind that many private schools pay less than their public counterparts not because they want to pay teachers less, but because they have very limited funding. You should always be mindful of the fact that you might be unsuccessful at negotiating up.

Furthermore, while you might not be able to negotiate your salary, you may find that private schools are more willing to negotiate on the other stuff...Perhaps you can finagle your way into free or reduced child care, deeper discounts on tuition for family members, extra days off for professional development, etc.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 28, 2008

Several years ago I was offered a job at a private (Christian) school and the salary offer was simply not enough for me. I told him that, and he came back with an offer that was several thousand dollars higher. I still ended up not taking the job, however. But it just shows that sometimes there is money available.

6. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

May 28, 2008

We have a specific scale based on years of experience and education level, very similar to public systems. I'm in a Catholic system.

7. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

May 29, 2008

Just wanted to point out that this isn't necessarily true...in many public schools you CAN negotiate what step you start on...then once you start it is done...no more negotiating later. I know this for a fact as it happened all the time at my old school in New York. If it was a position that was in high demand the principal would start a 3rd year teacher on a higher step (sometimes several steps higher) and say they were factoring in "life experience"

8. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

May 29, 2008

Thanks for your replies. I guess what I meant was the I wouldn't be able to negotiate a salary since I'm a new teacher and expensive hire as it is (career changer with a Masters).

9. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Just as everyone else said it completely depends on the school. I'm a in a small inner-city Christian school and our principal wants to pay us more, but there simply aren't the funds. I've seen the school budget and know that there really isn't the money. So, in my case, negotiating wouldn't be possible at all.