"Negative Nelly" teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 7, 2018.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:40 PM

I can see both sides. Pollyannas are just as annoying as negative Nellys, IMO. Having a safe place to vent and people who can relate is important. I think teachers also tend to easily fall into being martyrs...putting up with bad or unfair conditions because it's "for the kids" and then being accused of being "not dedicated" if they complain or advocate for themselves.

On the other hand, it is important to see the positive too because that's what keeps you going! A few years ago I was close with two teachers who just hated our P with every fiber of their being. Anything she did, they would throw a fit about and gripe about nonstop. At my previous school, I worked for a truly awful P and this P was NOTHING like that. If this P was truly the worst they'd worked for, they must have had pretty charmed careers. They both ended up transferring to other schools in the district the next school year, and quickly found out that all of the "issues" weren't caused by the P they hated so much. I was friends with them when I first started at the school, but by the time it was their last year there (4 years later) I wasn't sad when they announced they were transferring.