"Negative Nelly" teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 7, 2018

Do you have any at your school? Do you sit with them at lunch? Can you feel the negative vibes coming off them?

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 7, 2018

I avoid them like the plague, for my own sanity.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  4. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Oct 8, 2018

Oh, yes. The world is ending every day for some people, isn't it?

5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2018

Perhaps they are realists? Those sitting there pretending everything is rosy are the problem!

nstructor and otterpop like this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 8, 2018

The one we had quit last year. She would demand that people be positive all the while she pointed out negative things every day LOL Her scathing emails were comical!

CherryOak likes this.
  7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 8, 2018

Interestingly, I haven't come across any at my school! The staff at my school is great.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 8, 2018

Ours have retired or moved to other schools.

I’ve told my friends to be sure to let me know if I start acting like that. I really want to avoid being the negative person. I’m not sure they realize they are being like they are.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 8, 2018

In my experience, there's 1 at every site!

The lady at my school is unhappy in her personal life (she reminds anyone who'll listen that her husband cheated on her and that "...the girl is their daughter's age"). All that bitterness seeps into her work life, unfortunately.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 8, 2018

I think it's possible to be a realist without bringing everyone down with you. I could go to the staff room and complain about my class, about the parents that I work with, how overwhelmed I feel and how our local government is unsupportive. OR I can go to my resource link and ask for more support and strategies, I can fill my principal in on a parent situation and ask for her advice, and I can ask my teaching partner for some time to plan together.

11. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 8, 2018

Yes, always. I don't sit with them at lunch since only about half of the staff actually use the staff "lounge" to eat their lunch. It's not very welcoming and also not the cleanest.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:07 AM

I think it's normal to share something that could be negative once in a while but not doing it to the point where every day you complain about something and people avoid you LOL
    The people who pretend everything is perfect are just as annoying. We're human! We have bad days sometimes!

nstructor likes this.
  13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:13 AM

I've had my share of complaints! But there is another teacher here who the students call "the hated one." They avoid his room as much as possible. They'd rather come to my homeroom to chat just to stay away from this guy!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM

Y'all should see it from the admin/office perspective. We hear her voice and whisper, "Here she comes."

The gentleman who handles teachers' union grievances starts each phone call with, "I'm sorry, but she called us again and said (insert complaint)." I think even he's sick of her.

The other day, I could hear her say she was coming to talk to me. I literally shuddered. I mustered a smile, though, and handled her issue.

We keep reminding ourselves, "Three more years until she's gone" (retired, I mean).

Geologygirl and futuremathsprof like this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:20 PM

Unless someone takes care of her before that (just kidding ;) )!

Ima Teacher and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:38 AM

Ditto.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:40 AM

That is quite depressing that you have to deal with someone like that. What is wrong with people?

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:35 AM

We had one who was so bad we had to start hanging “do not disturb” signs on our doors because we got tired of hiding in our rooms to avoid her. She was negative AND a talker. :confused:

When she decided to leave, we sighed in relief. I feel bad for her new coworkers, though. She is the perpetually disgruntled type.

19. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:09 AM

How do y'all avoid getting sucked into the negativity when you can't avoid the people? This is honestly my team this year, and I toe the line between being positive and negative most of the time anyway. Since my team my first year was so positive, it was easier for me to be positive. Not so much this year, since "being positive" sometimes just means "keeping my mouth shut." I've caught myself saying a lot of things this year that I wish had never come out of my mouth. :(

20. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:08 PM

I feel like I am becoming one of these and I want to change. We had one retire last year.

21. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:30 PM

I like you Blazer, but here is where we disagree. I really need to stay positive to teach and I don't need other teachers spewing out negativity during the day. Could you imagine being on a sports team and spending your time outs complaining about the fans or things that you have little control over? I am now with one of the most positive group of teachers and there is no way that I would want to go back to a campus of negativity...even if the negativity is true.

futuremathsprof likes this.