Need weather and atmosphere ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Aug 23, 2016.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2016

I'm having a discussion with a coworker. We need to align what we are teaching. I want to start with weather and atmosphere (in order to utilize a professional development day for forces and motion later in the year) and he would like to start with forces and motion because it's more hands on (and therefore forefitting the development later in the year).

We're trying to see if we can find some hands on, data-driven labs and projects to make weather more interesting. We like our physics unit for collecting data (not just looking on the computer to get weather info), manipulating data, graphing, and writing lab reports. Anyone have any ideas or resources for this?

Thanks!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 24, 2016

If you want to start with weather and atmosphere, I believe you can get data and depth by incorporating sites such as NASA and NOAA, and you will have to spend some time mapping out resources that provide you with real data to work with, but trust me, they are out there. I would suggest visiting NSTA, since I am sure you are members, and running your wants through a few searches there. I have several free links that might could help listed on that thread, but I don't have the time to do the legwork right now as I have a lot going on. Good luck.

http://www.noaa.gov/our-work

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2016

Thanks so much! I will start looking through those sites. If you get a chance I would love any free links you could pass my way. Thanks again!!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 24, 2016

If you haven't been through the Free Resources, Links thread, you might want to visit it. I wish it was nicely done by topic, but I find the stuff and share. If it appeals or seems as if it might be what you are looking for, drag a copy of the link to your own folder and browse when you have the time.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2016

Your local meteorologist would probably come pay a visit. Ours did.