Need to get ESL certification in Texas, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by penguinpc, Sep 19, 2011.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Sep 19, 2011

I am certified to teach Kinder-8 self-contained in Texas. A lot of districts are now requiring elementary teachers to be ESL certified.

I am not currently teaching, so there are no district provided professional development classes to help me get ready for the test or whatever it is I need to do to add this certification to my certificate.

I'm not even sure where to start. Which certification test(s) do I need to take? Do I have to take some sort of professional development before hand, or do I need to just study for the test and pass it?

Thanks!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Sep 19, 2011

Call your service center. Many offer crash courses in certification tests.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 19, 2011

Your region service center will have a class or two (it doesn't require more than that), and then you just take the test. It's an endorsement, not an actual certificate, so it's really fairly easy.

I studied the guide available online with a few friends the night before the test, and we all passed. Of course, we were all seasoned teachers, and to us, our experience paralleled the information that was tested.

5. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Sep 19, 2011

All I had to do was take the ESL Supplemental TEXES test. I didn't have to take any courses or professional development. Although it was a few years ago and I don't live in Texas anymore, so it could be different now.

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 19, 2011

You can still take the supplemental test, mine was required for my degree so I took the EC-6 ESL Generalist.

http://www.texes.ets.org/ will be your friend.

The ESL supplemental exam is test #154. You will have to talk to ETS directly to find out how you can take the exam, since for me I had to go through my university, but I know you can do it without a uni backing you.