Need suggestions for Common Core Physical Science

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jan 9, 2018.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2018

I'm the Teacher Mentor at my school and I'm trying to help with the Science curriculum. Does anyone have textbook or workbook suggestions for teaching Common Core Physical Science on a middle school Lexile? The Pearson text we have is too high and the AGS is too low. The important thing is that it hits the right standards for a state-wide test using mostly Common Core standards.

I know, I'm asking for a unicorn of a text.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2018

I don't recall the lexile level of Hewitt's classic Conceptual Physics, but you might try searching for that book and keeping an eye out for books inspired by it that are more nearly the right lexile.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2018

That's kind of a difficult book to look for (OP's quest). I need a very similar book, and like OP, have found AGS too low. I will look at my Pearson text tomorrow, which is close, but too old to be Common Core, although Pearson is almost always well written anyway. We were Common Core, then they simply adapted NGSS. Would that be appropriate for your needs?

TeacherGroupie, I will also be looking at your suggestion, because it is a hard level/subject/lexile to find.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 10, 2018

We found a copy of Conceptual Physics in the stacks. The only standards that he would need to supplement are ones he can grab from his chemistry text collection. This should work!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2018

And possibly the standards having to do with science literacy. For that, the obvious place to look is your state's science content standards - but also see if your state's content standards etc. for English/language arts have anything helpful to say.