Need suggestions for 3rd Grade emergency Sub folder

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs. Mc, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mc

Mrs. Mc New Member

Oct 8, 2010

My friend and I are new to third grade. We need suggestions for materials/activities to put in an emergency folder for a substitute teacher. Thanks.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2010

Find some short reading passages with questions to answer, math fact practice, adding/subtracting worksheets, word searches, really any review from second grade is great!

4. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Oct 8, 2010

If you have access to any classroom magazines, reader's theater plays, or professional books with reproducibles in them, make good use of those!

I particularly like reader's theater plays because kids tend to enjoy the better written ones, they can read them as a class and then answer questions or write in a journal based on it.

If you can get a picture book and make a quick writing or language arts lesson based on it, it would be pretty simple to pull off.

If you're short on time, a lot of textbooks have supplemental material that is usually not used for regular lesson plans. The unit and chapter reviews, magazine excerpts and extra activities could be used for an emergency. Videos are another option.

As a side note in the emergency plans, if you have a well-practiced center routine or review game that students enjoy (for math facts, vocabulary, etc), then you can add that as an activity choice in the plans.

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 10, 2010

My folder has activities that are basic, but really fun. mopar said it perfectly with "any review from second grade is great!" I try to have the review with lots of fun. The more fun the kids have, the more accepted the teacher will be. Good luck.

6. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Dec 8, 2010

You should throw some games in there that don't need many resources, this one about fractions just needs a whiteboard and whiteboard marker:

http://www.richgamesforlearning.com/games/maths/completemefractions.html

I'd recommend throwing a deck of cards into that kit to, there's a few games at that site you can play with just a deck of cards. Have a look!:woot:

7. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

8. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Feb 22, 2011

Another thing is good to put in your Emergency Sub-Folder is the Fire Drill Exit for your classroom and the Crisis Management Plan.

That's a requirement for our folders.
    Andre

9. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Mar 27, 2011