Need some words of... whatever. I have a first for me.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Nov 2, 2017.

1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 5, 2017

We are not in the customer service industry. The sooner WE start believing that, the sooner the public starts understanding it. Maybe, MAYBE, private school teachers are a bit, but even they should move away from that train of thought.

We need to realize we are more like doctors. And not all doctors - doctors in public clinics or public hospitals. We do not have to sell ourselves in order to get people to use our services. We will have "customers" so we don't have to worry about advertising. Instead, we need to worry about giving our students/patients/customers the best care we can. Our students' parents do NOT know what is best for them academically (or the class as a whole) and they do not get to make the classroom decisions.

My job is not to make anyone happy. My job is to make sure Johnny is presented with the material that can make him successful. In a manner that he can access it. I'm not even responsible for his learning. He is. If people are happy while we're doing this, great. If they aren't, then that is a lesson in itself.

2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2017

Maybe it depends on the school (location) you're in. We were in constant competition with other public schools just a stone's throw away AND charter schools, of course, because Arizona lives by them! They're like Starbucks: EVERYWHERE! So we pretty much were in the customer service industry; if parents weren't happy, they'd take their kids elsewhere. And we were already competing for limited resources as students = $. And that's not true either about advertising, in fact, my second year... one of the first activities we had to do during our before school meetings was to go around in the competing school districts and put up ads for our school on everyone's door as a way to lure their children into our district. I felt so scummy doing it :(. I agree that if we just do a good job, we'll keep them coming, but the district didn't see it that way.

MetalTeacher and Backroads like this.
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Nov 5, 2017

That's actually insane.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Nov 5, 2017

I'm with you up to this point. If Johnny doesn't learn, we need fix that. It's on us. Children are too young to consent to failure.

5. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2017

I agree to a point and disagree to a point. It's our job (as part of a team) to help find out why Johnny struggles with learning and how to fix that.

At the same time, Johnny can't be told he doesn't matter in the learning process.

If Johnny isn't studying, it's not my fault.

6. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2017

I had a ephiphany on this. Since I hadn't heard issues concerning my homework, I was perplexed.

Last week, Kiddo was checked out just as we were starting a math practice page post-lesson. I let Kiddo take the page with her... never to be seen again.

I now think that page may be the troublesome "homework".

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 5, 2017

I disagree that teachers are like doctors. We don’t have anywhere near the amount of schooling, training, or responsibilities that doctors have. I have several friends who are doctors and they all have a minimum of 8 years of school followed by a 3- to 7-year residency and then some go to do a 3-year fellowship after that. Not only that, but doctors have to purchase malpractice insurance and can be sued for just about everything.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 5, 2017

I don’t think the responder was referring to a disabled student. I think they just meant the mother thought her son was special as in unique or advanced. I am just speculating, though.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2017

That's the impression I got.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2017

No. "Unique" students are not necessarily gifted and talented as defined in an educational setting. Even "advanced" students are not necessarily gifted and talented.

Appropriate language is important, but it's equally important not to be misleading in our choice of words by assigning very specific labels to students who don't meet the criteria for them.

svassillion and Backroads like this.
  11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 5, 2017

Then you're being overly sensitive. I never once said that the child was in the special education program. Which he wasn't.

Backroads likes this.
  12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 5, 2017

That's not what I meant. Not the level of education we have, but instead the fact that our students are going to come to us, we do not have to seek them out. And that we are going to "treat" our students as we see fit, not how their parents are going to request.

Backroads likes this.
  13. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 5, 2017

Oh my goodness. If you're going to take offense and correct other teachers, at least use people-first language. E.g. a student with special needs

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Nov 5, 2017

I thought you were supposed to be the fun teacher!!!!! PC is not fun :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:o_O

Backroads likes this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2017

Which means don't respond if you don't comprehend.

16. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2017

Yet you decided to stick your own interpretation on the post.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 5, 2017

This made me laugh, lol!

18. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2017

Meeting over.

It went... awesomely. My principal was amazing, and it really was just a worried mom who is now coming in to volunteer and help.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2017

I'm glad to hear it. I think it can be easy to get worked up about stuff like this, but it's probably better to assume good intentions on the part of the parent. Parents don't always know how school works, and sometimes their expectations and how they think they should go about fixing a perceived problem may not be entirely correct. If we as teachers can keep a level head and really listen to the parent, there's often a solution somewhere in there that everyone can be happy with.

20. a2z

a2z Phenom

Nov 6, 2017

I so agree. The real key to working with others is trying to find out what someone really means, not necessarily what they are saying.

MissScrimmage, Obadiah and Backroads like this.