Need some words of... whatever. I have a first for me.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2017

Today I had a message on my answering machine from my principal. She wanted to set up a meeting with her, me... and the parent of one of my students who no longer wants her daughter in my class. There are no other openings in 2nd grade, so hence the meeting to find another alternative.

Now, we very recently had conferences. I talked to Mom about what we were doing for her daughter and everything seemed to be okay. No red flags or problems from conferences.

Now this. I'm floored.

According to the message, my principal was saying something about Mom not being happy with the homework. My "homework" is a list of things we are studying with some notes of how to help and an optional reading log. My school does not have a homework policy either way, so no, I don't do official weekly homework.

I politely called back and said the suggested meeting time worked for me and kept it calm and simple, but inside I'm freaking out. I have never had a parent request to remove their child from my class. I feel like the parent went over my head to the administration. I don't want to be belittled about how I don't give mounds of homework.

Plus, I was about to call this mom concerning some interesting obsevations that came up during interventions... kind of an "aha!" moment about the girl's math struggles. Now I'm afraid to initiate that.

So... help.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2017

I participate in some parenting boards. One thing I've noticed there is an apparently common tendency for parents to skip the traditional chain and go directly to the principal for any sort of perceived issue. It seems like many parents make many grand assumptions about what motivates teachers (they all hate children, you know) and what teachers do on a daily basis (honestly, why can't they find time to write three-paragraph notes home for every kid in the class every day?).

My best advice to you is not to take anything personally. Ask the parent to describe specific events or situations where the parent has been unhappy with the outcome. Be prepared to present any data you have about the student and her performance. Let the parent know how much you enjoy having the kid in class and how you'd like her to stay, but leave the decision up to the principal and parent.

AmyMyNamey, Obadiah, otterpop and 9 others like this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Nov 2, 2017

I am agreeing with Caesar - don't take it personally. As long as you can listen with an open mind and not feel attacked, it may turn out to be a productive meeting with a non-traditional start. Our fear that we will somehow be found wanting weighs heaviest on the teachers who are most concerned and invested in their students. I have witnessed less than stellar teachers enter these kinds of meetings with the simple concept that the parent is crazy, while great teachers are second guessing their every action, because they care so much. If your principal is good, he will have your back.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Nov 2, 2017

My first question (as an administrator) to the parent is, "Oh, no! Were you and the teacher able to work out the issue when the two of you met to talk about it?" About 99% of the time, they haven't spoken with the teacher about the issue.

Then, if things aren't solved, I'll meet with the parent and teacher together.

Obadiah, Tyler B., Joyful! and 8 others like this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Nov 2, 2017

Seems so common sense, but as noted earlier in the thread, a lot of parents seem to believe that you start at the top, and then work down. I think that there is the belief that because we can email the principal we should email the principal. It's kind of an attitude shift.

Upsadaisy and Backroads like this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2017

And the day is getting progressively worse. I found a paper, when putting in grades, with several swear words and extremely offensive drawings on the back. The kid who owned the paper swears up and down he didn't do it--and I believe him because he really isn't that type of kid and it wasn't his handwriting. So... my two main suspects swear they didn't do.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 2, 2017

Oh, my. Well, don't equate the two incidents. They are all in a day's work. Be calm, sure of yourself, and open. If the parent wants more homework, offer workbook pages or suggest a website or something.

Obadiah likes this.
  9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Nov 2, 2017

True. For every parent who wants more homework, I'm sure there are 5 who want less of it! I would definitely try to meet with the principal before the parent is there to make sure you two will be on the same page.

Obadiah likes this.
  10. a2z

a2z Phenom

Nov 2, 2017

Go in with a positive attitude because it is most likely a communication problem that might be able to be rectified.

The parent may have thought that she did discuss her issues with you at the conference even if it didn't seem so to you. Since it didn't equate to what the parent wanted she called the principal.

I'm a bit confused. How is this homework? Isn't it a potential tutoring plan for a parent? I'm not against parents helping children. For many it is essential they get more instruction out of school. To the parent, it may seem like you are shifting teaching duties by not having more traditional homework that you will look at the next day or week. I assume, though, that your parental help is going over math facts or working with measurement, etc.

Backroads likes this.
  11. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Nov 2, 2017

This happens weekly at my school between the whole staff which has heavy parent involvement- so rest assured you're not alone. Their children have a right to an education, but I feel there are some that take this to mean they have a right to a hand in the classroom decision making :rolleyes:

12. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2017

Perhaps. I'm trying to go in sympathetic. I will keep that in mind.

It's review. Here are sight words we are studying, here is spelling. We are talking about place value. Can your child point out ones, tens, hundreds? I really don't see it as a tutoring plan since it's so brief--mostly about "here's what we're studying." It's hardly a lesson plan for the parent--in any way, shape, or form. At least, that's how it seems to me. I'll see if she felt she felt pressured like she was "tutor".

My suspicion is that she doesn't like that there isn't more. I don't like homework for second graders. So, I instead did a classroom letter with spelling words, sight words, and what we're talking about that week. I'm the type that figures if they want worksheets, they can print them out themselves from a hundred different websites.

So, yeah, it's not homework.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Obadiah and svassillion like this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2017

A teammate theorized that, since this student is struggling in a subject and has major attention issues (also brought up at conferences), this might be a method of avoidance.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 2, 2017

Or, they just have learned already not to take everything personally. And that as teachers we simply cannot be responsible for everything in a child's life and sometimes parent expectations are unreasonable.

I used to fret about parent-initiated meetings, especially if an admin was involved. Now I'm like "eh, I really don't want to give up that 30 minutes and have to defend myself against whatever accusation is being thrown my way."

OP - just to give you a heads-up about how ridiculous your meeting might be... I've had meetings where the chief complaints were: I told the class that we were moving beyond middle school expectations towards high school expectations (put too much pressure on the children the first week of school), I gave two students a zero for cheating during a test (was my fault for not making it open-note like his other teachers), I said people are building homes in former forests which is causing some ecological issues (kid's dad is a developer), I slut-shamed (actually, I yelled down the hall "NO PDA! Go to class!), I called a boy "typical" (I kinda did do this. I said playful, immature behavior during class change is typical of freshmen boys but I expected he would get into the habit of entering the room quietly. Her son is NOT TYPICAL. He's special.)

15. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Nov 2, 2017

:toofunny:
    If that's not meeting worthy, what is?

Backroads likes this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2017

Ah! True story?

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 2, 2017

oh yeah, true story. She didn't say he was special but she did say that he was NOT typical. And was clearly quite offended that I said so.

Backroads likes this.
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 3, 2017

I think the parent doesn't like your homework plan is because they can't just let the student do it on their own. They actually have to help their child (shudder)!!!!

19. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2017

I've had very few kids or parents request out of my class in my 15 years. When it happens though I've never cared. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Leaborb192 and Backroads like this.
  20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2017

I had one. Mom didn't like that I actually gave her son consequences just like everyone else... oh my... yes he was extremely smart, but he was also a smart a** who instead of being a role model, was a poor influence on his classmates especially his friend (who struggled) and pretty much emulated him! She thought I was ''picking'' on him -- I wasn't -- and didn't like the way I held him accountable for his actions (like when he was being straight up rude to me or his classmates.) Anyhoo... mom didn't like me and I wasn't offended one bit when she wanted him out. I also spoke to his prior teachers and learned that mom basically just bribed him to behave. Wonderful lesson! :roll:I was over him in my classroom and basically had a "there's the door'' attitude. He ended up getting switched into my team member's class and I got one of hers (that she was having problems with,) so it all evened out. And truthfully it was for the better for ALL of us!
    :)
    I think some take advantage of the fact that were in the ''customer service'' industry and tend to abuse that fact. I'm willing to work with parents, but won't bend over backwards for them.

AmyMyNamey and Backroads like this.
  21. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Nov 5, 2017

You might want to tell your principal that if this happens again, the first thing out of the principal's mouth should be, "What did Mrs. Backroads say when you discussed this with her?" Your P really let you down by not referring the parent back to you.

Several years ago I had a parent request her child be moved. It was profoundly upsetting to me. Her problem was that I did things differently than the previous years teacher. I would echo the comments of others who said to try and not take this personally, and try to figure out what's best for the child.

Backroads and Leaborb192 like this.