Need schoolwide Dr. Seuss activity ideas

Discussion in 'Library/Media Teachers' started by mls08, Feb 20, 2012.

1. mls08

mls08 New Member

Feb 20, 2012

I am currently in my student teaching placement in a middle school library. I have been asked to come up with a school wide activity to celebrate Dr. Seuss/Read Across America day.

I came up with a contest of Dr. Seuss questions for the kids to answer and then win prizes but the school already has that planned as part of the day. I need to come up with something that the classes can do and it ties in with the library.

I can think of a bunch of ideas for the elementary level but what can middle school age kids do with Dr. Seuss books?

Can anyone please help me out?? Being new to this, I struggle to create lesson plans for just the library classes so now having to do something for the entire school is a little overwhelming.

Any ideas or just pointing me in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Thank you! :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Feb 20, 2012

Each student can create an advertisement for his favorite Dr. Seuss book, including a summary or description of the book and an illustration.

Or, each can create an ad for a newly found and never published Dr. Seuss book. (The student makes up the title, description, characters, illustration.)

Or, each can write a Dr. Seuss-ish book. (This would take a lot more time.)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

5. mls08

mls08 New Member

Feb 20, 2012

Yes, I did check out the NEA site first. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the advertisement idea. I was thinking of something similar and having them draw a picture from one of their favorite Dr. Seuss stories and then having some sort of contest. I just need to make it fun somehow. (haha)

6. sewlo

sewlo Rookie

Feb 23, 2012

Have you ever used voki? you can buy a cheap subscription and create accounts for your middle schoolers. They can create talking avatars, and can make different ones for Dr. Seuss ... maybe there can be a contest for various superlatives -- best information, most creative, etc.

http://www.voki.com/products.php

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 23, 2012

I think it would be more fun to make a commercial and record it on a flip camera or something. Maybe the could choose to either do a book catalog with a printed ad or do a live commercial telling why that certail book is the best.