Need Read Aloud for Everyone's Different and We all learn at different rates

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ecrobey, Sep 17, 2014.

1. ecrobey

ecrobey New Member

Sep 17, 2014

I moved grade levels with a large chunk of my kids but we also have some new kids that joined our class. The class is mad up of esol, sped, general education, and aap kids. Last year out room was a little less diverse and everyone understood everyone's differences and they embraced it. However, it seems the new comers to our class have not been in a room with kids that are much lower than then and are not seeming to me as welcoming.

This has always been my strong suit as a teacher and am worried if I don't nip it in the bud early it may get to far. Any ideas on some great read alouds or lessons?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

Maybe Fractions = Trouble by Claudia Mills? That deals a lot with students struggling in school in certain subjects.

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 17, 2014

Thank you, Mr. Falker. I have a class like yours, OP. Even though I had many of them last year in 3rd, the new standards and expectations are very tough for many of them. I feel like we are trying to put on the roof without a firm foundation and walls..........High expectations are great, but there has to be a strong base to master many of the skills needed for success.