Need ideas for reward system for 7th and 8th graders

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by BlondieK, Aug 22, 2007.

1. BlondieK

BlondieK Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

During my student teaching experience I used a reward system with my fifth graders, it seemed to work well for discouraging bad behavior and the students really enjoyed it. But, I was just hired for my first teaching job as a 7th & 8th grade math/science teacher.

I would like to use a reward system for my upper middle school kids, but I'm afraid the kids will think its too babyish. Does anyone use a reward system for 7th and 8th graders that have worked in the past? Please help! I need some ideas for my more grown up audience.:thanks:

3. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

They wont think it is baby-ish at all. They are all big kids anyway! Homework passes work well, as well as cute pencils and erasers. Some even love the smelly stickers.:lol:

4. Miss_Case

Miss_Case Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I choose a "student of the week" each week for my classes. Students know that they must have turned in all their work and completed all class assignments. They also know that they must have good behavior. They earn a certificate and I fill paper bags full of fun stuff like pens, pencils, lip gloss, playing cards, knee socks (our girls wear skirts/uniforms), watches, homework passes, restroom passes... I change the bags up all the time and the kids have a fresh chance every week. I also take their pictures and create fun cartoon characters out of them and hang them on the board.

Immediate rewards are always a good thing, too. If half the class is ready- I give them pencils or tootsie rolls or 'now and laters'. They will respond to anything positive. Even the worst of kids :)

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

I used tickets (roll from wallmart) with 7th. There were different tiers (5 tickets= toy/ trinket/ tootsie roll, 10=sit by a friend pass, 15= candy bar, 20= homework pass, 25=5% on a test ). They got tickets for keeping desks clean, completing work, etc...

6. BlondieK

BlondieK Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Thanks for all the great ideas.....I knew they secretly liked stickers :)

7. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I wish we could still give candy! We have to steer away from that here in Texas because it is "Minimal Nutritional Value" Food - aka jolly rangers, starbursts, etc. But, hey, we can still give chocolate!

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

What about fruit snacks?

9. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 22, 2007

when i was student teaching 7th and 8th grade, i would give a mini candy to students who earned A's and B's on their tests. This made some students want to get the good grades more, but some students could care less. i gave them to both A's and B's because i wanted to make the grades reachable for students who felt that they couldn't get something as high as an A.

10. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Fruit snack would be okay. For us, they have take away anything that doesn't have any nutritional value - aka hard candy, soft drinks, things like that.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

There's nothing "secret" about their love for stickers :)

I've taught HS Seniors who would sell their kid sister for a cool sticker!!!

I taught math 7 last year... is there anything I can send you??

12. BlondieK

BlondieK Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

That would be great! I know how to make science fun, but this is my first time with math. If you have some ideas/lessons on how to make math fun and interesting that would be wonderful. Thanks Alice!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

I don't know about "fun and interesting" but I'll send you some stuff.

Do you want to PM me with your email so I can send attachments?

14. Nick_A

Nick_A Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I was amazed to find out kids that age still love stickers. One time when I was grading a stack of tests, I realized the only stickers I had left were those scratch-n-sniff ones (I put a sticker on all graded assignments above a 90). So, I used them. Before returning the tests the next day, I apologized for the "smelly stickers" and said it was all I had left. Well, you would have thought I was handing out free Nintendo DS's or something. The kids were gaga over them, much to my surprise.

As for rewards, I'm going to use the same system I used with 5th and 6th last year, and hope it still works with these guys. I have one of those charts where you write everyone's name and it has the little boxes for stickers. There is a reward for filling up each section of the chart, and the rewards get better the further along you go. There are prizes for both individuals and the class as a whole. It worked REALLY well with 5th and 6th, and the classes were constantly in a friendly competition with each other.

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

Here is my idea that I will be trying this year. I hope it works. It is specific to encouraging homework. The students will be sitting in 4 groups of about 6 students. When everyone in a group brings homework they can move their group card one space in the pocket chart. When they reach the end (4 spaces) their group gets a point. The group with the most points will be able to use the carpet area I created. (I teach math so this area will be for the students to relax a bit more while they do their math assignment. I have clipboards and lapdesks and some pillows to make it cushy. I am trying to add to it so it will be highly saught after. The students will also have "go first" priveledges (regarding lunch, a round table that will be available when I am not working with students individually, getting supplies. being dismissed, getting breakfast, etc.). I'll also have some sort of trophy for each class that will be handed over to the leading group in each class. Once again, this is all for homework completion only. My hope is peer pressure will encourage reluctant students to complete homework.

16. msb

msb Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I like this idea, CMW! I have raffle tickets; I did that last year, but I noticed that sometimes the kids that deserved it most didn't get a prize. I like your idea better. How often did you pass out tickets? Is it just a few students at a time, a whole class, or one student per class?

Thanks for the ideas everyone!:up:

17. trina

trina Companion

Sep 12, 2007

I have a bulletin board with colored butcher paper, and it's labeled "The Wall of Fame." Every time a student makes a perfect score on a test or quiz, he or she gets to sign the wall. They ADORE this system. I change the paper each quarter and put the old ones out in the hallways in a place labeled "Hall of Fame." They always bring their parents to see it whenever we have open house, etc.

18. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Apr 26, 2008

My sister teaches 6th grade. She gives them "smellies", which are a swipe on the back of their hand with a yummy, scented chapstick. So silly, but they love their smellies! They'll smell their hand all day, which reminds them of their job well-done.

Michele

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 26, 2008

I put stickers on their tests and quizzes. They always go ape for them. They'll even tell you they studied for the test cause they wanted to get a sticker on it. Whatever works.

20. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2008

I gave mine toothpaste this year.

Ya, they loved it.

The biggest mistake ANY teacher makes (especially middle school) is thinking something is too silly for their kids. I've seen the toughest kids act like fools for a tootsi roll. Middle school kids aren't grown up and they honestly don't want to be. They are great at putting on the act that they are too cool but they aren't. They, as someone said, are just slightly bigger kids than elementary.

They are still kids.

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2008

I have a similar system but I use stickers. I made an excel document with 8 sticker charts per page, each chart has room for 25 stickers. I tape the papers inside of a cabinet, one cabinet for each class I teach. I used to have 90 individual sticker charts, which made my class look messy to me, and occasionally someone would complain that someone tampered with their sticker chart or one would come up missing. Having them in the cabinet eliminates that problem. I once had a 2nd grader steal a sticker chart just so the other kid couldn't get rewarded. If I gave them tickets, I'm sure some would end up lost or stolen.