Need ideas for my multi-needs class please

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sammyrams, Mar 3, 2010.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Mar 3, 2010

I have a meeting on Monday morning with my administrators to discuss what I am going to do with the increase in students next school year. I will have 8 students with severe/profound disabilities in my middle school class. There will be myself and 3 aides so a 2:1 ratio. I need some ideas of how to structure my day since it will need to be different than what I am doing now. I currently run one schedule for all students and my 3 aides rotate working with students during the day.

I am thinking that I need to do centers throughout the day and the students will rotate through them. With one of us each running a center. The problem I am running into is bathroom time. Each of my students needs assistance in the bathroom and for one student it takes up to 20 minutes on a good day to change his diaper and do his stretches. My thought is that one of the "centers" would be bathroom.

Any ideas? Please please please!! Thank you!

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 4, 2010

Heck yeah I think that's a great idea! It's a functional skill. And stretches could be another center. You could call it "Move and Groove." :cool: Another good center would be work stations. Not sure if your kiddos are capable of doing work bins independently or not but I like to buy those clear plastic shoe boxes at the dollar store and put jobs in them like folding wash rags, setting a place at a table, assembly (flashlights), etc. For those that have higher skills you can use file folder games as another center for independent academics like math and language arts. I could go on and on. SOMEBODY STOP ME. :beatdeadhorse:

4. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 6, 2010

Here Is What My Room Looks Like!

I have a total of 5 students. I have 4 of them in wheelchairs and one of them has severe seizures. She has gone into a seizure when someone coughs in the room. She can do some hand over hand activities but is very defiant, she will fight you when you are trying to assist her. She is in a wheelchair because she has cerebral palsy and she isn't able to walk. Another student has severe seizures and he has been absent due to having pneumonia and hasn't returned since. He is very defiant when you try to work with him and he throws materials. He can walk slowly if you assist him, but he sits in a wheelchair due to poor muscle tone. He can communicate a little bit. He has difficulty with using his hands at times though. I have an ambulatory Down's Syndrome student who is extremely defiant and he makes grunting noises that will cause the first student to go into a seizure. He will push materials away off the table, he resists any form of hand over hand assistance and it's very difficult to work with him on doing simple tasks. He is not toilet trained either. I have another student who sits in a wheelchair with very stiff muscles and he isn't able to use his hands at all, not even to press a switch because his arms are curled up to his body. His legs are almost curled up to his body as well. He is the most difficult to do any activity with because of his muscle tone. You have to do everything for him. He is not toilet trained either and he has to be positioned out of his wheelchair for a portion of the day. The last student isn't even able to hold anything. She is non-responsive to sounds and she has seizures too. She requires assistance with feeding and toileting and she requires a lift because of her size. It's very difficult to work with students when they have behaviors and their functional levels are below 18months. My staff and I do the best we can with what we have. When you're not given enough equipment to help the students, what other choice do you have?
    :dizzy:

5. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Mar 8, 2010

ZoomZoom, thanks! We do a lot of those activites already, so at least I know I am on the right track. I found out today that we are moving to another school in district. This is good and bad. Good, we will have a lot more room in our classroom and a window!! Bad, I lose the bathroom that we have in our classroom now. We will still have a "changing room", but no actual toilet or sink in there. We will see, I think it will work out fine, just be some adjustments to our bathroom routine. Most of my kids will be OK in a regular bathroom stall.

I have a lot of packing to do at the end of the school year, and some serious planning to do over the summer, but I am kinda looking forward to having the bigger room.