Need ideas for math centers for Multi Needs class

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sammyrams, Sep 9, 2009.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Sep 9, 2009

I am looking for some ideas for my middle school multi needs class. My kiddos are non verbal and are cognitively around the 3 month - PK level. I have some that can recognize money and numbers and do some basic counting, but that is it. I am having a hard time coming up with activities they can rotate thru.

3. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

what about patterns, sorting, cutting shapes, colors...?? I have some nonverbal kids that are preK and we do some of these activities... not sure if they're appropriate or not for yours..

4. LSteacher

LSteacher Rookie

Sep 12, 2009

i've got a kid that is very involved and one of his goals is to identify whether something is a circle, square, etc. by hitting a mounted switch with his head. he doesn't see very well, so I don't know exactly how to figure this one out!

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

How about pre-vocational skills that fall in the math realm?

-sorting by size (big/small)
    -sorting by color (as many as they are able)
    -put in/ take out (these can be related to addition/subtraction/arithmetic standards)
    -copy the pattern (sentence strip with red blue red blue and the kids have to Velcro red blue red blue on top of your pattern... Another option is they cover the strip and the pick the pieces up to package them...)
    -put one in each (get small containers that are divided- cheap option is an egg carton.. Have small objects where they have to put one in each, which leads to one to one correspondence- can also do straws in cups as a cheap one)
    - match object to outline by setting the table (buy some cheap plastic dishes- bowl/cup/plate- and a cheap plastic placemat- draw outlines on the placemats and the students have to "set the table"- can be done with other objects also for other object to outline practice.
    - sorting coins (higher kids can do all four coins, lower kids can start with just putting coins in a dish, then can move to pennies and quarters)
    -counting objects and packaging (buy small binder zipper pouches for less than a dollar... Then a huge package of pencils. Make some cards that fit into each pouch with the outline of different numbers of pencils with the number written next to it... Then they package them after they use your "jig" to count them out... This can be done with things other than pencils.)
    -if you have a sink- filling up spray bottles.. ( practice with amounts- lower kids just fill bottle up to the tape line, higher kids fill it up by matching amounts - you have several tape lines and they have an instruction card that says "fill
    to __ line (color) or (fraction/amount). Either way they're exposed to amounts and fractions.)

6. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

When I taught severe/profound, I used TEACCH work boxes with my kids. You can buy some pre-made, or they are really easy to make yourself using a shoebox or manilla file folder and common household items (I love to save yogurt containers, pudding cups, etc. for that kind of stuff) I even have created a few workboxes this year I use with my grade-level students.

http://http://www.shoeboxtasks.com/buy-shoeboxtasks

7. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions! I got sent a catalog from Hot Tasks or something like that and they listed all of their work boxes and they are easy to reproduce for 1/5 of the cost of theirs.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

I love doing that! I will see things in catalogs and make them myself! Good plan.

9. kao

kao New Member

Sep 17, 2009

Thanks for all of the great ideas!