Need Ideas ASAP! Dr. Seuss! Thanks!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandagap06, Feb 18, 2010.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 18, 2010

Ok , guys think and think quick lol!! I am taking child development classes to become a preschool teacher. One of our out of class lab assignments is as a class we will go to a local head start preschool prgram and read/do an dr. seuss activity after reading a dr. seuss book to a preschool class. We will each go to a diff classroom. I do not know the age yet. All I know is I picked " the cat in the hat" to read. This was for one of 2 reasons 1. I like it the best personally and 2. It does not have too many tung twisty words for me to stumble on. I have to come up with a craft and our instructor said it would be good if we could dress up some how but we don't have too(I want to if able). This is going to be one of our grades and the more the kids like it and the better job we do the better the grade. HELP!! PLEASE!! NEED THESE IDEAS BEFORE MARCH 2nd! Oh, and our instructor hates dito sheets aka color sheets or worksheets. I wanna let them make a hat but idk where to begin. I am in no means creative. I would rather spend all my dimes on a kit then to try and be creative(u get the idea that my creative level stinks)!! Oh, I thought about shelling out $6.99 at a local costume store for a dr. seuss hat do you think thats a good price etc.?

3. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Feb 18, 2010

Do an online search for activities.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

You can get the pattern for the hats online. They cut them out, color the red stripes and you cut a strip of paper that fits around their head, glue or staple the hat shape on the front and voila you have a Cat in the Hat hat!

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 18, 2010

The thing is my teacher wants us (seeing as thats what she is trying to teach us) to be creative and where not everybody's craft looks exactly alike. The hats she said we could do, but I guess creativity comes into play in letting them choose different materials to make it out of?

6. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

You could do the hat pattern so they all have a hat but bring in different materials for them to use when decorating them.

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 18, 2010

Can you elaberate or give me an example? Do you mean use the hat pattern but it does not have to look like the dr. seuss hat? What could I bring in to decorate other than markers,crayons they already have? Do you mean let them use the dr. seuss hat pattern but decorate it any way they like? Thanks for your ideas help!! :)

8. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 18, 2010

If you want to stick with the hat idea......

B/c it's pre-k, I'd give them the hat shape pattern. His hat has stripes right? I usually do There's a Wocket in my Pocket with my kiddos for Dr. Seuss month.....

Anyway, b/c the hat is striped....Have them fill each section in with a different material. Maybe one section they will be painting, one will be colored, one is torn paper pieces glued down, foam shapes, Some type of food product.

OR! better yet...b/c he kind of creates chaos everywhere he goes in the house,...been a long time since I've read cat in the hat...each stripe can be represented by somewhere in the house he makes a mess. So fill a stripe with some type of food product from the kitchen, some type of sponge painting b/c he found sponges under the sink, Lego printmaking (in my head this works...) foam flowers to reprsent the garden. I keep thinking of doing something with socks..but no idea.

And I think the price for the hat is cheap...and something you can reuse down the road.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2010

When my kids were in preschool, we made newspaper hats all the time. No cutting involved, just a bit of folding. Or you could make hats out of cones... kind of like the old "dunce" hats you used to see on TV.

No one says it has to look like the hat on the cover-- the book doesn't describe the hat; that was the illustrator.

In fact, you could have the kids use a list of words to describe hats, then talk about which ones apply to the hats they're making.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 19, 2010

I love Alice's idea. Making a hat like everyone else's offers zero creativity to the children. Coloring in a pattern is even worse. It's a ditto that's cut out and stapled. What if you brought in tons of fun objects-oatmeal containers, boxes, paper towel tubes, egg cartons, fabric swatches, tin foil, tissue paper, buttons, etc, and allowed the students to create their own fantastical hats? Then, like Alice said, asked them to use words to describe them and make a list of those words for their word wall? This gives the students agency, it allows them to take credit for their creativity and leaves a lasting mark on their classroom that they can refer to later.

I think that's MUCH better than a pattern!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2010

When we made Cat in the Hat's hat, I NEVER used a pattern. I showed the kids how to cut wavy lines on a white construction paper. Then, they had to cut red strips of paper from red construction paper. Then, I modeled how to glue the red paper strips on so that it made an AB pattern. Then, the final touch was added by a teacher. We would wrap a sentence strip around the child's head, and then stapled the hat and the sentence strip together. Voila! A cute hat entirely made by the student. This does require lots of cutting, though. But see, in my class, we did a ton of cutting challenges so that by this time of the year, they could cut anything. :)

12. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 19, 2010

This is a different book, but maybe you or someone else will benefit from the idea. I've read the book "Ten Apples Up On Top!" by Dr. Seuss, and brought in real apples for the kids to try to balance on their heads (and then eat afterwards). I also had them draw a picture of a lion, dog, and tiger (the characters in the story) and had them draw or cut and paste red apples on top. You could also have students act out the story by adding small red balloons to their heads. I also incorporated this with math; asking the students who has more? How many apples does the lion/dog/tiger have? as well as predicting what would happen next.

13. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Feb 19, 2010

makinglearningfun.com has some cute ideas

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2010