Need help with theme!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mac13, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Mrs. Mac13

Mrs. Mac13 Rookie

Jul 10, 2018

Hi everyone, first timer here. I was ask to teach a different grade this year and wanted to know if having a theme in fourth grade is good. Everyone knows I have three dogs so I was going to make a dog theme room. Now that I think about I never did which quite surprising. Any advice?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2018

Fourth graders would enjoy that. Several years ago when my fourth grade class was deciding on table names, they went with dog breeds.
    Fourth graders are awesome; enjoy!

4. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 10, 2018

Personally, I'm not a fan of themes in any grade. They always appeal to some kids, but there are always some to whom they don't appeal, no matter what theme you choose. I also think they tend to be distracting and juvenile (I know we work with kids, but that doesn't mean that our classrooms have to look like a kid's playroom.). My personal preference is to go with color and/or pattern themes. My current school has a policy that bright, primary colors are not allowed. We are required to have neutral, calming tones in our classrooms - something like you might have in your living room. I didn't understand it when I first started working there, but I now love it and would never go back to anything bright and distracting again, even if I moved on to another school.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2018

I always went with a curriculum-related theme for upper elementary. American history or 'Americana' for 5th, literature-related for 3rd.

6. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Companion

Jul 10, 2018

I love the dog theme idea. I have seen teachers use dog bowls for crayons (younger grades) but if you like that idea incorporate something like that?

:)

7. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Jul 10, 2018

You might be able to find a decor pack off of TPT. That's where I bought mine from and everything goes together. I would recommend finding one that's editable so you can make it your own. The downside is the amount of ink you'll use, but I was able to print everything at my school.

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Cohort

Jul 10, 2018

I use themes to create accountability. I tie my theme into my management. (If I have it all staring at me all the time, I can't very well slack on my management system.)
    Dog theme would be great at that age. You could find many academic tie ins across the curriculum. I understand not everyone likes a theme. You have to do something you find is authentic to you and go with that. Me? I'm thematic. This year, I'm going nautical! (Older kids, so it'll be more real life items and photos than cartoon like).

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2018

I love dogs, so I’d enjoy that.

I’m middle school, so I go with color themes. However, my black & red color scheme has turned to lots of ladybugs. I plan on keeping the colors for multiple years, but I will rotate out the ladybugs at some point.

One of our sixth grade teachers had a Paw Patrol room. We have also had Peanuts, Disney, camping, bees, and Star Wars.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:45 AM

Dog theme is super cute. I actually change my room each month (I teach first) to go with the season. So for August it's ice cream, September, apples etc. I love doing it and the kids love it too. BUT it is super extra.