Need help with rowdy preschool class

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Christine M Fay, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Christine M Fay

Christine M Fay New Member

Feb 15, 2019

Hello, I am new to this site . I have been teaching preschool for approximately 15-20 years. Each year and new class I get excited and have so many goals and things I think the children will love to do. Again, by thus this is time of year I am so discouraged by their behavior and it keeps getting worst each year. My class is made up of 11 -5 yr olds, 1/4.5 yr old. By this time of the year I expect them to be able to be on their own coats, potty,write their own names...etc. this has been the hardest group of all. First, one of my 4.5 yr comes in in his mom's hip and she is handling him to me each morning...he is way to heavy , I have suggested everything to her, she still hands him to me . Second , I have been hit 4 times, bit, spit at, kicked, a chair thrown at me , one child's pees on the floor just because....I go home stressed and cry each night . I can't teach thus group...I feel they r so behind, the all start kindergarten in September...only half will even try to put on their own coats. A few r writing their names . I feel the issue is one Child. He sucks the energy and time from the class....he throws tantrums every hour..if I say clean up , let's do our paper, what ever he doesn't want to do , or what he wants he has to have and so on....it's his way or we all pay...he mother's agresc and know how he is, she calls him spoiled ...everyday she picks him up from daycare he demands to go to WalWalm, McDonald's, etc...and she does it... Most of my days are spent keeping him happy , working with him and so on...I feel so bad for the other children, they get hardly any of me. I have spoken to the director and she knows all about him , however the center needs his body there fir the funds. I get paid $10.00 an hour and I feel sooo overworked from this child ... Ladt week he had one of his fits lasting over 29 minutes on the playground, he was throwing chairs, he then threw something else that hit me in my face, I got small scar now . I took the claas in, and took director what happened, she saw on camera anyways... She took him in her office for 2 min, brought him back to my room , he said sorry and she let him play while I iced my face. I went home to my hubby who said that's enough. I decided to quit the very next day ... Now I am scarred to death to work in another center due to being hit by children and having nothing I can do about it...please give me some advise on how to handle disrespectful children, parents and a boss who didn't seem to care ...if I had sent a child home with a mark on his face I would have been in lots of trouble ...now I feel like maybe just because I am only a preschool teacher I have to accept it and it makes me angry .... should I just give up on childcare ????

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Feb 17, 2019

Honestly, I would quit. There are plenty of daycares around; I worked at a couple amazing ones and they paid way more than $10/hr. Kids were great, parents respected teachers, management supported you, etc.
    I remember one girl who would run out of the room, throw chairs, hit & kicked, bit into a tissue box, etc. And the daycare kicked her out after 3 weeks. The safety of the staff and other children are more important than money.
    I've moved onto public schools, but I loved that daycare. I loved teaching Pre-K there. Those kids were more than ready for Kindergarten.

Christine M Fay likes this.
  4. Christine M Fay

Christine M Fay New Member

Mar 15, 2019

Thanks...I quit last week!!! They cannot keep teachers there. I am at a Christian based center. The children are prefect , but it's better than before. I started working with children in 1982. Worked for my first day care 1983-1989. The children today are much more roudy then years ago. I have to learn to accept that parenting/rules have changed. Children seem to be able to get away with a lot nowadays.

whizkid likes this.