Need help with graduate work (class mngt)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Lyquidphyre, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 5, 2007

I am taking my final grad work for teaching over the summer and my first assignment asks me to interview two teachers. If two (or more) people could answer the following, I would be so very appreciative!

1) Interview at least two teachers about how they set up their classroom. Make a list of considerations such as seating arrangements, grouping, collection of assignments, make-up work, and other classroom management considerations.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 5, 2007

I try to set my room up so the students aren't cramped. I like them to have room to move around. I also make sure I can see all areas of the classroom, so there aren't any hiding places for the children.

As for management skills, I try to keep the students engaged in our lessons and this way they don't have time to get into mischief.

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

Thanks!

How do you collect assignments and make-up work?

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

In the beginning of the year, I had my students seated in small groups of 4 or 5. This allowed them to quickly form friendships with other students, and encouraged them to work in groups. As the year went on and they became more verbal than I wanted, I put them into rows facing me, each person sitting with a partner. I placed them with a partner based on their work habits, personalities, and behavior, and most partners balance each other out and work very well as partners. I also have rug space at the front of my classroom where we sit for class discussions, demonstrations, or story time, as well as a small table at the back of the room (seats 8) that I use when working with small groups.

When I collect student assignments, they simply turn it into my "black box" (on the corner on my desk) and after all is turned it, I immediately paperclip it together and move it into my "to be graded" pile or "to be filed" pile.

If students are absent, the paper-passers are expected to put work on their desk and the absent student's partner is expected to pile it neatly inside their desk. If the student is absent for more than one day, I'll collect their work and put a sticky note on it with their name, and simply hand it to them when they return to school. When they return the make-up work to school they either (a) turn it into the homework bin if it is homework (seperate from my "black box") or (b) hand it to me in person.

We use a school-wide classroom management system called Make Your Day Count, so I don't have another system in place in my classroom. However, I ensure that seating placement and work areas (my students are free to take their group work anywhere in the classroom) are easily accessible and seperated so students complete their work quickly. I also use the same classroom routines each day, and that helps a ton with classroom management, since the students know exactly what to expect, where to turn their work in, what to do during transitions, etc.

Hope that helps!!

ETA: I just realized you posted it in the Secondary Education forum, so my info probably won't help you. Sorry!!

6. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions! Even though you are elementary education, I can still use the information. For my class all I have to do is summarize, so I can avoid mentioning the rug space =oP
    Everything else works well with secondary, again, thanks!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2007

Our classes are large-- this year mine run from 32 to 40. I'm in a fairly strict Catholic HS.

My seats are set up in rows. It's important that the kids see the board-- hearing math just doesn't cut it. I seat the kids alphabetically in the beginning, then move them depending on the mood in the class, any height or hearing/vision needs.

Our HS kids (not the 7th graders I had this year) are more or less homogeneously grouped. Management isn't normally a big deal: they tend to be pretty much on task from the beginning to the end of the period. (More exceptions now that we're winding down: 3 days of classes to go.) But each trimester ends with either a Trimester Exam or next week's Comprehensive Exam, which is worth HALF their grade for the year. So the kids tend to remain pretty focused without a whole lot of input on my part.

When I give a test, I put the appropriate number of papers on the first desk in the row before the kids get there. They take a test, go to their seats and start. Most are so happy for the extra minute or two that they rush to get to class. (Not that my tests are long. But the kids like to get started.)

I return papers the same way: I put each row's papers on the first desk in that row. Any student who is concerned about his grade (or one I suspect will be) can see me ahead of time for the paper. Sometimes I'll pull the paper of a student and hand it to him personally. But they tell the world their grades anyway, so the issue of others seeing their papers isn't a big concern.

Anyone who misses a test needs to make it up by the end of the trimester... now that means by this Friday. Normally they take it after school. But I have detention duty this week, so several are taking makeups during class.

Hope that helps you a bit.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 6, 2007

My kids are in rows also facing the board, however during class activitites they may be moved into groups if neccessary. Depending on the group of kids I am teaching the amount of Classrrom managment--if you will varies. However, the real way to keep classroom mangement problems low is to keep your kids engaged in all lessons, activites, assignments, etc. Most of the time this means more work for the teacher. Bu thte benefits add to better student learning and classroom mangment. A confession: I bribe my kids with candy duirng review games, bonus points/extra creit not many, since I do not give much, homework passes, stickers, and other cute prizes. Even my seniors like this practice, but come on who doesn't like candy!

If studnets are disrepsectful, swear, or disrupt class, is constantly comming unprepared to class, etc. I have really no set policy but it varies from a warning to a detnetion, to a refferal depending on the offense. Personally, I allow students to go to the bathroom if they need to as long as they do not abuse it. There are several kids in my school who will not allow kids to go to the bathroom at all so they learn not to abuse it.

Anyways, sometimes a kid is riled up or something is on his/her and they jus needd to get out of the room that is fine with me as long as it does not interrupt class.

I allow kids to use chew gum, drink and eat in class, listen to iPods independant work time during class as long as it does not become a disiuption or risk to techonology. I recommend that they do not do it during teaching time. If this is abuse or they are simply not doing well becuase of it; it is revoked.

I have student helpers, who, among other things manage my "I was Absent" binder, sample binder, binder table of contents, clean the room/board, update our class calendar/webpage/voicemail, pass out papers (not graded) and any other odd jobs. (BTW they are paid with candy and many of my students are happy to do it. ) I have them do anything, within reason, that I can't think. Well of course I do all the grading, planning, and copying. I would highly suggest using this practice; it saves me so much time and lets me acutally teach.

My student helpers collect all work at the beginning of each period and place each in its own pile. After all work is sorted by assignment it is alphebatized (all papers have a student number on them), clipped together and given to me. Then I put them in my "To be graded folder" for that class. I grade and record them and then put them in my "To be returned" for that class and then during independant work time I return them.

9. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

Oh wow, thanks guys so much for the detail! This not only helps me on my assignment, but it will really help me plan for my first year of teaching (which is creeping up on me... now if I could only find a job!)

10. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

Brendan_ryan- how do you pick your student helpers? Or do they do these things themselves without a que from you?

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 8, 2007

Depends they volunteer and I draw from a hat from there.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 8, 2007

One thing I'd like to add about classroom organization -- if you have computers in your classroom, make sure you arrange them so YOU can see the screens.