Need Help Passing the Praxis II 5169

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by teachmathva, Jun 17, 2017.

1. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jun 17, 2017

I recently took the Praxis II 5169 and received a score of 28, which is 157. I plan on taking it again in July and want to pass with a score of 165 or above. I used a Praxis II 5169 test prep book and took the practice exams from the Praxis website. Does anyone have any tips on resources or tutors to help me pass?

3. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 17, 2017

Well, a 157 is almost there! You only need a little more and it'll be done. Was there a big difference in your Arithmetic and Algebra vs. Geometry and Data sections? If so, look for textbooks in the area that needs most work at your local library. If you're near a college that has teaching programs, they may have the test prep books in the reference section of their library you can review for free on location. I used the Cliff Notes book and one of the online exams for review. I used Khan Academy for a little daily mental practice. I found the tests in the in the CN book to be a little more difficult than the real exam and, at first, it had me convinced I'd never pull it off. However, it prepared me well. Practice each question - missed or not - until you understand it thoroughly. It's helpful to redo the practice tests in the book over and over until you get great scores on them well within the test's time frame.

4. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jun 17, 2017

Thanks CherryOak for the advice! I'll look at the Cliff Notes book and practice questions.

5. teachmathva

teachmathva Rookie

Jul 13, 2017

The Cliff Notes book helped! I passed my test!

CherryOak likes this.
  6. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jul 13, 2017

Yay! Congrats. Va needs good math teachers. :)

teachmathva likes this.
  7. TeeTee

TeeTee New Member

Dec 21, 2017

Hello, is the CliffsNotes book material in line with what's on the actual exam? Thanks in advance! I failed miserably on my first try. What else can I use to study, as I am a visual learner?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2017

You might try websites that teach or review math generally, using your previous results and the rundown of subject matter in the free Study Companion as guides. Some people like Khan Academy, but if that doesn't suit you, you can find other options by searching the blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. TeeTee

TeeTee New Member

Dec 23, 2017

Thank you for your feedback, TeacherGroupie! That sounds like a great idea.

10. Vee2π

Vee2π New Member

Apr 11, 2018

TeeTee have you taking the Praxis 5169? If so what study resources did you find to be helpful?

11. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

Hello!
    Which practice exam online did you use for your praxis 5169 test prep? And did it match very closely to the actual exam? Thank you!!!

12. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 17, 2018

I took one of the official Praxis practice tests and it was pretty similar in difficulty to the one I encountered on test day.

13. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

14. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

Sorry I think my message didn’t send through correctly.

Thanks for just reply! By official practice test, do you mean the one that you can buy off the ETS website that is online?

And also, how long ago did you take the 5169 and how many did you get correct and final score?

Thanks again!

15. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 17, 2018

Yes, I mean that one online. I took it 1.5 years ago and made a 196. My time was tight! I haven't taken the 5161, yet.

16. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

WOW - a 196? Excellent. I just need a 157 to pass and I feel like that is going to be an extremely difficult task to overcome.

Do you know if the praxis has changed in content or difficulty in the past 1.5 years?

And lastly, besides taking the ETS practice tests, do you recommend any other prep book or tips or suggestions? I just really need to pass this praxis next Saturday since I am in a pinch with my job situation and that will open up the MS math door.

17. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 17, 2018

I'm not aware of any changes, but I haven't bothered to look lately. If you're working in under that time constraint, you need to identify what you need to really work on. Take one of the practice tests in your chosen aide and diagnose your weaknesses. Read the study guide's competencies list. For me, I spent a ridiculous amount of time (and still would for the 5161) on combinations. Probability is so easy for most people. My head hurts trying to get it! Haha. I see trig, calc, stats, etc. But, simple probability makes me fuzzy headed. Oh well. Everyone is different. You're not going to have enough time to casually review it all. You need a very targeted approach tailored to your strengths/weaknesses.

18. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

Hi again,
    I purchased the REA book and read through the entire book, took the 2 practice book tests, took the 2 practice online tests, but still was only scoring in the high 60's on the practice tests (minus one outlier of scoring an 81). The geometry and confusing all the formulas are my biggest hurdle I think.

I originally looked at the ETS guide for which concepts will be on the test but its like a million long it seems.

And just to confirm - when you prepared to take the 5169,all you used was one praxis ets test online and the CLIFFNOTES 5169 book? Or did you use more? And also, how was your math proficiency leading into that praxis?

I appreciate ALL your help - thanks again

19. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 18, 2018

That sounds very promising! Yes, those resources and Khan Academy were all I used. But, that's just what fit me. The resources are not half as important as what you do with them. My math proficiency was once very strong, however it had been years ago when I started the process. My first practice test was a 55%. I was pulling around 88-93% before taking the test.

20. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 18, 2018

Thanks again for the reply - praying I pass! One more question - I know that they don't count 10 questions out of the 55. So does that mean your final correct will only be out of 45 questions? If so, doesn't that make each question carry much more point value than if it was out of 55 questions? Can you clarify? Thank you!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2018

The questions that don't get counted are being field-tested for inclusion in future tests: they're not ready for prime time, so to speak, and it's broadly to the test taker's advantage that they're not being counted. (Good multiple-choice questions are much harder to write than they look: field-testing the questions exposes them to more people from more diverse backgrounds and perspectives and who are likelier to discover the "bugs" that are less obvious to the test writers.)

As for the formulae that keep getting mixed up: make sure you're learning them as equations, not expressions (that is, not "pi r squared" but "A = pi r squared"); elaborate them slightly, so you know what they refer to ("A(circle) = pi r squared"); where possible, find an example for each in something like your daily life and visualize the formula applying to that thing (for example, an apple pie for area, a chocolate cream pie for circumference). Goofy or, um, off-color mnemonics can be very helpful.