Need help....FTCE K-6 Exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Stefanie05, Jun 29, 2005.

1. MrsLGlenn

MrsLGlenn New Member

Jan 15, 2011

I will say my struggles are: Social Science and Science.

I really hope to find a tutor or something or the best tips on how to pass.

Thanks
    LG

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2011

Tests that are designed for particular states tend to be aligned to the state's content standards This page (http://www.floridastandards.org/) links to standards, some of them newly adopted, in science and in social studies.

Have a look at the science standards. Then you might want to look for a really engaging kids' book or Web site that deals with those issues - you want something aimed at a middle school or high school student, with lots of visuals to illustrate the terminology you need. Finally, spend time every day finding (and naming) scientific principles at work in your everyday life. (Walking across a room is physical science in action: think about it.)

For social studies, start with the state standards and then look for good kids' Web sites - or you could look for lesson plans, either for Florida schools or for other states' schools, with engaging activities that will help you get a grip on history and civics. The Web site of the Library of Congress can be helpful here: with the Florida standards handy, try browsing some of the collections at http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/browse/.

3. Kat86us

Kat86us New Member

Mar 29, 2011

Study guides

Hi,

I just took my k-6 sae and did not pass for the second time. I am currently doing my last internship and graduate in May, I just registered for it again but I need a better guide to study from. The one I used was cliffnotes and didn't help me much, I felt like all the content on the test was different than what I had studied for. Any suggestions on which study guide to use??

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2011

Does the score report give you any idea how close you're coming, or where you're coming up short?

5. Kat86us

Kat86us New Member

Mar 29, 2011

No, all I got was a not pass unofficial score.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2011

Are you supposed to receive an official score report?

7. Kat86us

Kat86us New Member

Mar 29, 2011

Yes but not for a few weeks, even then that only gives you an overall score and not broken down by sections.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2011

What's your own sense of the domains in which you could do better?

9. Kat86us

Kat86us New Member

Mar 29, 2011

All but language arts, science and technology, and physical education.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2011

Assuming the usual array of domains, then:

For math, any good skills review should be good; I like LearningExpress's books such as Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day.

For history, a good historical atlas is a fine choice, since it'll help you see the history; a good kids' history encyclopedia can also be very useful, and Kingfisher's is very good.

11. GISELAD

GISELAD Rookie

Apr 29, 2011

Hello everyone,
    I am relatively new to the site, and I'm scheduled to take the FTCE Elementary K-6 Exam at the end of next month. I am a career changer, currently working in administration at a university, and hold a bachelor's degree in Business, and a Master's degree in Liberal Studies. I already have the XAM Book, and I am currently studying from the (Elementary K-6) Module from the Florida Department of Education. I need to ensure that I pass on the first go, as I cannot really afford to pay $200. Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as study materials go?

I will greatly appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide.

Thanks!

Gigi

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 29, 2011

Welcome to A to Z, GISELAD.

Are the materials you're using so far teaching you a great deal you didn't know before?

Of the domains that the test covers, which have you most nervous?

Are you generally good as a test taker?

13. GISELAD

GISELAD Rookie

May 2, 2011

Good afternoon TeacherGroupie,
    Yes, the materials are definitely teaching me things I either didn't know or just did not recall. I just want to ensure that I am studying the correct material and not filling my brain up with unnecessary material.

I am most nervous about the Math and Science areas, although the Language Arts is now beginning to worry me (this is suppose to be my strength).

My biggest concern is that I have never been a good test taker. I retain answers, but apply them to incorrect questions/scenarios.

Any valuable suggestions??

Thank you!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2011

The Competencies (sorry I don't have the link handy) lay out what is and isn't tested. If a bit of information isn't positively excluded by the Competencies, there's nothing wrong with learning it - and the trick is to think less in terms of avoiding material you don't need and more in terms of how things you know and are learning can be used to help you reason out an answer.

Here's a use for practice tests you've already been through: pick a question in science. If the question sets up a scenario without naming it, write down the name of the scenario by the question stem; if the question names a phenomenon, jot down an example of it from a book you have or from the Internet, and then jot down another example - of it playing out in your own life. (The rock cycle, for example, can be partially modeled by what happens to the leftover apple pie in the Tupperware in one's fridge when someone leaves the two-pound slab of mozzarella cheese on top of it: what part of the pie gets most mooshed?) Do likewise with the possible answers. Then think about what the notes you've just made suggest about what the correct answer must be.

15. GISELAD

GISELAD Rookie

May 3, 2011

Thanks TeacherGroupie,
    These are some excellent points. I will try it!

16. GISELAD

GISELAD Rookie

May 21, 2011

Hello Paquel,
    I just noticed that you offered some assistance to HClose. Would you mind sharing which study materials you used to the pass the FTCE Elementary K-6 and the GK and Professionals Test?

Thanks!

17. saivi08

saivi08 New Member

Aug 1, 2011

help help! :(

I also need help on this test Please if anyone has a guide that will help me, let me know, the more preparation material the better ;)

thank you

18. saivi08

saivi08 New Member

Aug 1, 2011

Hi paquel,

I notice you said u have a guide that can help pass the elementary k6 test, I am desperate to pass this test:( please if you see my message, help me! I am trying to collect material that will help me pass:dizzy:
    thank you

19. profrose

profrose New Member

Apr 2, 2012

I am in desperate need of help. I took the test 3 times and did not pass it.

20. subteach

subteach New Member

Sep 22, 2012

Hi all,
    I am taking my elem. test next month. I noticed there are tests you pay to help your test. Has anyone tried this before? thank you..