Need creative ways to post student work in the classroom.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Nov 22, 2011.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

So recently we had our yearly fire inspection. We are in permanently set portables so we do not have plasterboard walls. All teachers have created bulletin boards by putting paper on the wall with boards and then adding student work. Well the fire inspector said those bulletin boards must come down because we cannot have 2 layers of paper on the walls.

So I have been trying to figure out a way to put the student work up with out having a bulletin board type area. Student work must be posted in the classroom.

Everyone here has such wonderful ideas I though I would come here to see what you could come up with. I have several ideas some have already been turned down by admin.

those ideas were:
    -paint the bulletin board background
    -Put up a dowel and hang work from the dowel (cannot do this because the hooks for the dowels to hang from would create holes in the wall)

Admin has ok'd fabric if it is treated with fire retardant but the bulletin board I currently have is about 8 ft x 4 ft.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

Why not do a clothes line and hang things using clothes pins? Are you allowed to hang hooks or lines from the ceiling?

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

Nope not allowed to hang from the ceiling either. :(

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

Well the clothes line may be good, you can attach it to the wall with a small hole. I saw someone here use clipboards, but you would have to glue them or something like that to the wall.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2011

I'd tell the admin that student work will not be displayed until they come up with an idea on how you can display it.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

Is it the paper that is the problem? What if you used clear plastic, or a shower curtain, and taped plastic sheet protectors on it to hold regular size paper? You could sort of cut and tape sheet protectors for larger sized pieces, or you could just affix items directly to the shower curtain.

8. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 22, 2011

Clipboards seem like a great idea but don't glue them to the wall. Use those hooks that have the easy remover on the back. They don't hold a lot of weight but a clipboard and paper should be light.
    What about magnets? You can stick magnet strips to the wall and put small magnets on top of the paper or even use paper clips to stick to the magnet strips.

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

They suggest just putting a board up around the space and then posting the student work to the wall with nothing behind it, or we can put fabric up if we treat it and make it fire retardent.

The first idea seems so boring in 3rd grade and the second is expensive.

The best inexpensive idea that I have come up with is to use borders and section off a section for each student.

Kind of like this:Where the o's are would be student work.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XoooooXooooooXoooooX
    XoooooXooooooXoooooX
    XoooooXooooooXoooooX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XoooooXoooooXoooooX
    XoooooXoooooXoooooX
    XoooooXoooooXoooooX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2011

What is that sticky tape that is meant to be removed called? I used to use it a lot. It really did remove well and didn't peel anything off the wall. You can just put up long strips of it. It wasn't too expensive.

11. jlj

jlj Devotee

Nov 22, 2011

I don't understand how it's not okay to have BB paper as backing, yet can still hang other paper and/or materials to hang student's papers???? If material is allowed, how does admin. expect you to hang it when they don't want holes in walls or hooks in ceiling? :confused: Well, here's a few ideas....
    *command strips for hanging clipboards - use colored clipbds or paint them
    *the clothes line might still work. Do you have flag holders or anything else hanging that you could attach the line to? I've used bungee cords that way.
    *large project boards could be used as BB. can be set up on floor or tables, used as dividers in room, etc. & moved easily
    *what window covering do you have? I've seen some display work on windows and/or even on vertical blinds; one new (1st yr) teacher didn't have money for window coverings so the children's work became valances by backing them on construction paper & hanging them with about an inch on the wall over the windows, the remainder hanging down (hope that makes sense)
    Let us know what you end up doing. It will be interesting to see what admin. will end up approving.

12. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Nov 22, 2011

Can you hot glue clothespins to the wall? One for each kid? The only issue we've had with that is that admin hates hot glue (it's hard to get off the walls at the end of the year), but the really stubborn pieces peel off easily using a hair dryer.

13. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 22, 2011

It has to do with layers of paper. Currently all teachers at the school have bulletin board paper on the wall, then a large piece of construction paper (one for each student), then the student work. We can only have one layer of paper on the wall. The walls are not plaster board and from what I understand hard to repair if they have nail holes. We cannot hang anything from the ceiling because of the alarm system. I am also not sure if the command strips will stick to the walls because they are textured. when I figure something out I will take a pic and post it.

I could put material that is treated up and then attach student work but I am not willing to pay for the material and the stuff to treat it with.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2011

Ah, yes. The fire codes. Nothing on the windows, nothing hanging from the ceiling, nothing within 18 inches of the ceiling. School codes: no holes in the wall, no hot glue, no sticky tac, no Scotch tape.

I'd take your student work, glue or tape it to bright construction paper, and then stick it to the wall with whatever kind of tape your allowed to use. I use Command strips - everything else just slowly melts right off of the wall down here.

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2011

I like the individual bulletin board for each student. That might look really cute if you have the room.

Another idea....does work have to be hung from the walls? Can you put a page protector on each of the students desks and hang their work on their desk?

16. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Nov 23, 2011

You can use multiple clothes lines. Just buy rope, hooks and clothes pins. Really, really inexpensive. The most expensive things are the hooks. You don't have to make holes for those self adhesive reusable hooks. Most stores have them in lots of different sizes and they work amazingly well. My last classroom I strung the clothes line against the wall close to the ceiling and then strung another one down about 2 feet below the first. It looked really great with all the student work clipped up. You can probably even fit a third row for a large class. For long walls you might need a third hook in the middle of the line.

17. cigano

cigano New Member

Nov 24, 2011

hmmm agree

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 24, 2011

What about having a computer powerpoint set up with pics of the kids' work running constantly? Or a large digital photoframe with a slide show going?

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 24, 2011

I saw a teacher once hang a fishing net on her wall, and then she attached student work to it with clothes pins! Her whole room was fishy themed, so it was cute!