Need CBEST math!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by surferpaul, Nov 20, 2012.

1. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Nov 20, 2012

OK peeps any webpage or practice for math section on the cbest? I just need one more point for this section and I am done with math.:eek::whistle::dizzy::huh::blush::blush::unsure:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2012

Welcome back, surferpaul. What light do your score reports shed as to areas in which you need to improve?

4. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Nov 20, 2012

I just need one point or points to pass math, received a 37 on math, 44 reading, 41 writing. I was bummed when I received my scores I only needed one point or points in math. I will take the test again!Yeah! :lol::rolleyes::cool::D

Going to take it in 2 weeks, "Computer style test."

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2012

You should have gotten a printed score report that breaks the math results down into three categories: estimation and measurement, numerical and graphical relationships, and computation.

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Nov 28, 2012

I would recommend that you take the practice test from the CBEST website. You can then create a study guide based on the problems you did not answer correctly.

7. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Dec 1, 2012

Thanks for the response: estimation and measurement, numerical and graphical relationships.

Jen84, thanks I'll take that advice and I did do the cbest practice and 30 out of 50? Is that good or bad? I don't know how scores are break down.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 1, 2012

"Estimation and measurement" includes knowing your inches/feet, ounces/pounds, ounces/cups/quarts, and temperature scales, along with understanding that "Estimate the result of 95.342 x 0.55" requires one to round the input numbers first and then calculate, not the other way around.

"Numerical and graphical relationships" entails being able to read charts and graphs and extrapolate missing information; it also involves being able to recognize when two numbers (or two ways of stating a number) are equivalent. Fractions and percentages are huge here.

30 out of 50 is 60% of points. It's not awful, though you'd do well to work on the skills in the other 20 questions to give yourself more of a cushion.

9. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Dec 30, 2012

Here my results
    Skill Area

Estimation, Measurement, and ++
    Statistical Principles

Computation and Problem Solving +++

Numerical and Graphic Relationships ++

How do I prep for the next test?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2012

Boosting any or all of those should do the job. You could work your way through the arithmetic videos on Khan Academy, http://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic, or you might consider engaging a tutor - if you can find someone who knows the test, I'll guess that what you need is a little help with process rather than a whole lot of reteaching, so it might not even be hideously expensive.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2012

Oh, and you want someone who can walk you through the material on test-score interpretation - it isn't so much that it's advanced math as that it looks kind of daunting.

12. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Jan 6, 2013

Thanks for your help! I am getting a tutor next week before I take that test... I am tired of being a regular there:whistle::lol::lol::eek:hmy:
    :help:

13. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

Yeah I pass it! No more cbest, now I have to prep for Rica! Yeah!

Thanks to the forum that help me and the peeps that responded to my help....

14. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 29, 2013

Congratulations. Did you have to take the multiple subject CSET as well? I'm always curious how those who struggle on the CBEST end up doing on the CSET because it has quite a bit more depth.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2013

People who struggle with CBEST math may struggle with CSET-MS math too, bison, but some test takers get sidetracked out of sheer boredom; composing a formal essay, with all the bells and whistles in structure and conventions, is (or should be) a rather different matter than roughing out a constructed response; and some people find the relatively randomness of the reading-comprehension passages in CBEST more upsetting than they do the content-oriented stimuli in the CSET-MS questions.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2013

And congratulations, surferpaul!

17. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Jan 30, 2013

I took the CSET Multiple Subject one try and pass it. CSET M.S. was a lot easier for me

18. Feb 5, 2013

Congratulations surfepaul for passing CSET M.S. What score you got in the exam? I am in florida and passed FTCE test with good marks. For cracking this California Subject Examinations for Teachers exam requires a good study Methods, Strategies and Multiple Subjects Content knowledge which will help to crack this exam. Once you try for one subject then it will be easier for you to pass in other subjects as well.

19. surferpaul

surferpaul Rookie

Feb 10, 2013

Thanks! If anyone is reading this post let me know if you need help passing the CBEST, I have lots of extra practice packets you can review for.

20. TransplantedNy

TransplantedNy New Member

Apr 7, 2013

surferpaul you make me feel better about my struggles with the math section! I have seen so many posts with people saying how easy they think the math is. I have been reviewing math for the past 2 months or so for this and because I want to take the GRE in August. The CBEST practice test has been a big help as well as various youtube videos. I am taking the test here in NYC on via the computer on April 8th, hopefully I will pass!

21. danij

danij New Member

May 18, 2013

Hi

I just tried taking the cbest practice test. I got 39/50. Is this good enough? How do I know what type of scaled score this is? Thanks!
    :)