Need Advice Please

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MRSCROW, Apr 21, 2011.

1. MRSCROW

MRSCROW New Member

Apr 21, 2011

Hello, I am new here! (been a lurker for a while as I am studying to become a teacher myself(second career))

I am a parent and was hoping to get some real advice.

My son's birthday is on the cutoff for K-sept. 1st

Academically and maturity-wise, I know he is ready. His Pre-K teacher also believes he is ready.

I know he may end up being the youngest of the class, but I think another year of Pre-K would not be beneficial for him.

The issue I am seeking advice on is this....He is VERY shy. He takes an incredibly LONG time to warm up to adults, peers, everyone, but once he does he is wonderful-he's very considerate, plays nicely, etc.

The problem is I feel like he doesn't know how to "join" a group already playing or doesn't want to participate in groups. He does well one-on-one, if there is one kid at the park, that is his new best friend. If there are 4 kids at the park, he hangs back and observes.

He has just begun T-ball and I have already seen improvement-he now will put his hand in for the team cheer and will also give high fives out after the game..it took about 2 practices and 2 games to get to that point.

So..... What can I do to encourage him? Should I even push the issue? Will it even be an issue in Kindergarten?

I truly appreciate any advice you can give me, as I really want my son to get the best start in school that he can.

Thank you for your time

3. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Apr 21, 2011

Oh, this is always a tough one!

I teach a Junior Kindergarten, half day program. My students either just miss the cutoff date, or need/want one more year before the big K.

Every year, I meet with parents who are struggling with this decision. Over the past few years, the birthdays of my kids have slowly crept back and back. Next year, I will have mostly summer birthdays and some April/May. Our cutoff is Oct. 1.

Are you looking at full day or half day Kindergarten? Do most of the other children wait that extra year?

My best friend's son just made the cutoff and was in K with mostly children who were a year older. It didn't make a huge difference, but his confidence was wobbly for a while there.

Your son's preschool teacher has seen him in action with the other children, so I would trust her advice. I know lots of areas are offering K1 and K2 type programs. Or JK programs like mine, which are pretty academic and just give kids another year to gain confidence and have fun together.

Best of luck. Sports and other extracurricular activities are a great way to expose your son to social situations. If you decide on K next year, try to get a class list over the summer, so you can arrange some fun playdates. A few familiar faces on the first day of school is always helpful. :)

4. MRSCROW

MRSCROW New Member

Apr 21, 2011

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.
    We only have kindergarten in our 3 area districts (we can choose to go to any -there are no geographic guidelines).
    There is only a half day or full day option. We are leaning towards the half-day.

Honestly, it seems like here the ages in K range from 5-7...so I guess some parents wait 2 years?!? We have just recently moved to the area, so I am not sure what that is all about, but at K registration, some of the kids were already 7 or about to turn 7. Blew my mind.

It is so strange to me, I remember going to Pre-k at 4, K at 5, and so on...Now, it is like a guessing game without any clear rules. It used to be "you are 5, now go to K" :)

That is a great idea to get a class list and set-up some playdates! Most of the kids in his preschool are going to different schools next year, so his K classroom will be full of unfamiliar faces.

Thanks again for your help!

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Apr 23, 2011

You know your son better than anyone... that being said, I can say from experience that many shy children come in and learn to open up as the year goes on... it's part of what we do in K! At least in my room! :) Learning to make friends, speak to others, be kind, etc. is all part of our daily routine. :D

6. MRSCROW

MRSCROW New Member

Apr 23, 2011

Thanks for the input!

I think he will be fine, I just worry about his shyness, I'd hate to have him miss out on all the fun of K due to his shyness.

I hope as we move forward, he will start to come out of his shell more with T-ball and I plan to set up some summer play-dates to get him warmed up to the idea of making new friends.

I know when he started pre-k he was VERY shy at first and eventually was running out of school telling me all about his friends and what they did that day, so I think once he warms up, he will be one happy kindergartener :)

Thanks again for the input!