Need Advice in prep for Praxis 5051 CTE Technology Exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by cteinnc276, Apr 15, 2018.

1. cteinnc276

cteinnc276 New Member

Apr 15, 2018

I am considering an Technology Teacher position in a High School. I have a natural technical aptitude, but my past 25 years of work experience is in I.T. and automotive repair mgmt. No engineering, manufacturing or professional teaching experience. I need to pass this exam to qualify for Lateral Entry.

I purchased the 5051 praxis practice exam. Scored 75 correct out of 120 on first try. The engineering, manufacturing, and pedagodgy questions were more foreign to me than other subjects. My state requires a 159 score. How does a 75 on the practice exam translate to real exam score.

How can I best prepare for this exam with other books, study guides and other methods? I realize practice exams are not enough. Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2018

You know IT and automotive repair, which means you know how to read an assortment of technical diagrams and handle a fairly wide range of tools. The task before you now is to figure out how to use all the stuff you do know to fake the stuff you think you don't know.

Let me recommend downloading your state's CTE content standards - if you do a search for "___ content standards career technology education", the webpage with the standards should come up. You could also look up the Common Career Technical Core standards here. (Content standards in an area of study lay out what a state expects its students to know and be able to do in various grades and at various stages of sophistication.) Use the content standards and the practice test for which you've paid to make a list of terms you don't know cold. Then look them up online. Nobody's asking for your sources, so feel free to make use of Wikipedia.

4. cteinnc276

cteinnc276 New Member

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:47 AM

Thanks. Is there any particular study guide, textbook that are already setup to cover the material I need to know? Also is there a test exam that scores the exam like a real exam, and also shows correct answer to the question? In IT practice exams, they usually give you a "real word" score and a long explanation of correct answer is you get it wrong. Praxis practice exam is lame - just tells what you got correct and incorrect, period. You cannot even go back and look over the exam results and individual questions.'

Is this study guide any good? https://www.mo-media.com/praxisii/t...MIifXq-pDG2gIVRLjACh1DkwRsEAYYASABEgKGWvD_BwE

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018 at 5:32 AM