Need a Good Chapter Book...

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by blondie77, Jun 30, 2009.

1. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 23, 2009

We just finished Literature Circles, and I had four groups reading four different chapter books - War with Grandpa, Chalkbox Kid, Pick of the Litter, and Fourth Grade Rats. I was so blessed to have 2 parents join us, and each took a different book. We did this for a 20-25 minute period 3 days a week, and it worked for one parent as this was her lunch hour. I met w/ the other two groups and split my time between them. It worked beautifully!

2. GTR3

GTR3 Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

We read several biographies: Thomas Edison and Squanto. All from Scholastic. We also read: Molly's Pilgrim, Stone Fox, Clementine, The World According to Humphry, and The Boxcar Children. Enjoy!

3. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Oct 28, 2009

Clementine is amazing! I also read Frindle which the kids love (and still often say instead of pen). We also read My Father's Dragon and The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl. The kids absolutely loved that one and it was a quick read. Because of Winn Dixie was popular with the kids last year (but depending on the population of your school I would be careful with that one. I had a student who also had a mother who left him and he was bawling a lot when that topic came up.) We just started reading Holes and I am considering letting the kids watch the movie to compare and contrast, though most have seen it. And Magic Tree House is always a favorite!

4. Adamston3rd

Adamston3rd New Member

Oct 28, 2009

If you don't mind editing some words out and reading creatively two of my favorites are Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key and Hoot.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 29, 2009

I always read aloud after lunch for at least 20 minutes. After we finished a book (the kids did not read along, just listened), I wrote the title and author on a sentence strip and placed it on the wall. The kids often looked through our list as the year went on, remarking about how many we had read, what their favorites were, etc. I liked that!

I read aloud many that others have mentioned and also: A Wrinkle in Time, Charlotte's Web (beginning of year), Because of Winn Dixie (end of year)/

6. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Dec 31, 2009

During student teaching, I read Charlotte's Web to my 3rd graders. I made all of the animal sounds and "acted" the book out! The kids thought it was amazing! Anything by Roald Dahl or Avi would also be fun for the kids. I remember listening to my teachers read these books throughout the years.

7. cateste

cateste Companion

Jan 2, 2010

I always read at least one Roald Dahl book to my kids each year. I also look on bookwizard.scholastic.com for chapter books, in the leveled search, a few times a year to see if there are any new books out there that may be good read alouds.

8. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Jan 2, 2010

good on values

Esperanza Rising, especially if you live in the Far West or Southwest.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 12, 2010

Does anyone read "Matilda" by Roald Dahl? Does this make a good read aloud? I just finished "Freckle Juice" with my class, and the LOVED it! I want to do another one!

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 14, 2010

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is one of the best and most beautiful books I've ever read for a chapter book read aloud.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 14, 2010

I'm totally digging the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy. The third one just came out and I'm reading it right now-GREAT characters (I heart Constance) that have to solve mysteries using their above-average academic and social skills. This is a great series for vocabulary, too-they use a few large words but then explain what they mean as they use them.

I also loved Captain Hook by J V Hart. Sooooo good! It talks about how he became Captain Hook-great for boys AND girls! And you can teach empathy (think Wicked for kids).

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2010

Try some of the other books by Andrew Clements:
    http://www.andrewclements.com/books-novels.html

13. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Jan 15, 2010

chapter book

how bout Diary of a Whimpy Kid! Jeff Kinney

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 16, 2010

I'm reading "Way Side School is Falling Down" right now. Not sure if all of my students "get" it yet.

What is Frindle about?

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2010

I just started reading Matilda to my kids last week. We've only read the first five chapters, but they love it so far. The only problem is that with Roald Dahl books you kind of have to edit as you read. There are a few "bad" words that I change. I don't think it's anything too horrible, but I would rather avoid those words if possible.

I read James and the Giant Peach to my kids in summer school and had to do the same thing. They loved it though. We also watched the movie on the last day. I read The BFG to myself and have considered reading this one also.

Another one I read in summer school (I teach the kids going into 3rd and 4th) was Bunnicula. They really enjoyed that one also.