Need a English PreTest for 7th Grade....

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by joshaarrowood, Aug 9, 2007.

1. joshaarrowood

joshaarrowood Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I got my first teaching job.... I was hired with less than a week before school started. I cannot find a pretest for Language Arts. I need to know where my students are in relation to the material. Does anyone have a link to one, or can someone send me an electronic file of one??? Help!!!

3. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Do you have access to your curriculum guide yet? If so, that's where I would start. See what they are required to know by the end of the year, and create a test based on that material. If you don't know what's required, you can test them over proofreading/editing skills (punctuation, capitalization, spelling, usage...), vocabulary, reading skills (main idea, fact/opinion, cause/effect, summary, inferencing...)
    I do have a pretest that I created some years ago, but I won't have access to it until I go back for inservice on the 20th.

4. joshaarrowood

joshaarrowood Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I think that is what I am going to do.... I have been in inservices and meetings all week. I have stayed late every single day. We have students Monday, and I cannot seem to get my classroom ready.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

6. Mrs.G

Mrs.G Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Here's a quick idea, why don't you give them a in-class essay on a specific topic and have them write as much as they can in a period. You can then assess them on their writing skills (in all areas) and get a feel for their level of literacy. I would avoid the traditional, "what did you do over summer vacation?" Perhaps take a current event or controversial topic (age appropriate) and have them write on that. This is what I usually do the first day.

7. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

Congratulations on your first job. Relax and don't feel the pressure to pre-test. I say ask them to write...anything. Don't feel the need to give them a topic. Just see where they stand in their skills and go from there.

If you haven't already, please pick up a copy of Nancie Atwell's In the Middle. You'll get a unique view of how LA classes can be taught...and should be, in my humble opinion.

Good luck! I hope you love your time with 7th graders as much as I do!

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

If you are aware with CASI and have access to it, you can assess their reading levels using this. Otherwise, give them a short text to read and create your own questions based on that so that you can see how much they are understanding.