NEA

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vtachy1, Sep 22, 2012.

1. vtachy1

vtachy1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2012

Are there any teachers here who are not in the NEA? I think they call it "fee payor?"

I started as a nurse parapro 2 weeks ago and just trying to figure everything out here. I am strongly strongly strongly a conservative, and neither republican nor democrat.

I have worked 25 years as a nurse in a hospital setting so this is all very new to me!!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

Why would you not want to be in the NEA? Is it because the NEA supports certain political issues?

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 22, 2012

You don't need to support any political activities that the union advocates. It's optional to contribute time and money to those causes.

Otherwise, enjoy the protection of the union. If a parent brings a law suit, or the admin tries something unfair, you are protected.

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2012

If you do not join the union you do not get a voice in the union.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

Each state is different. Arizona is a right to work state, so it is illegal to be forced to join a union. Also, our unions have less members so are weaker. I see you are in Illinois. Many districts there, teachers might be required to join a union where there is at least 50% of the teachers who want a union. You might not have a choice if you stay near the Chicago area. NEA is one major union and I believe there is another one as well called AFT.

Before you judge, I'd get a bit closer and find out what teacher unions are really like. Teacher unions are a bit different than what they run in the news and in the newspapers.

7. vtachy1

vtachy1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

A strong yes to answer your question! Plus strong religious beliefs that I hold dear to my heart.

8. vtachy1

vtachy1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

I trust them (NEA) about as far as I can throw them on that!

9. vtachy1

vtachy1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012

Chicago should be its own state!!! I am SOOOOO not in Chicago or even associated with that place.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2012

Remember that it is illegal for them to spend union dues on political candidates, and, at least in my experience as a Political Action Leader and someone who has vetted candidates for endorsement, we do choose candidates from both sides. Public education is a social program and that tends to be supported more by democrats, but we did endorse several GOP candidates as well.

But if you don't like what they stand for and don't trust them to represent you and you would prefer to represent yourself, then don't join.

11. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 23, 2012

Hello.

I am a teacher who works for an ESC, and we do not have a union at all. I'm afraid I'm not much help, but, I am most certainly not a member of the NEA, and pay nothing to them.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

I am a member. I don't always agree with their stand on some uneducational issues...I just don't support the political action part. Dues are not used for that, individual support is. I also am a believer you can't change something from the outside.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

I'm a member of my district union. That also make me a member of my state union and the NEA. 'Fee payer' means that while you have the right to not join your district union, you may still be required to pay an agency fee to the union for representing you in contract negotiations.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2012

I am a member of our local union. The dues I pay make me a member of NEA and AFT.

I make my own decisions about who I support politically, and I don't pay the union any money for political issues.

I joined this union because my state is going through some perilous times educationally and I want to have a say in my position as an educator.

I know several teachers who have received tremendous support from the union when unfounded charges were brought up against them. That's another reason I joined this union.

I would advise you to do your research and then make an educated decision about joining the union. It may or may not be for you.

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

I am not in the union. I have to withdraw in writing every year. I get a refund on my dues of about $365 annually. I still pay over $70 a month for whatever ridiculous nonsense they are spending my money on for me NOT to be in the union.

And if anyone truly believes:
    <<You don't need to support any political activities that the union advocates. It's optional to contribute time and money to those causes. >>
    I'm sorry but you are simply naive.

I have asked NEA to send me an indication of the accounts to which our dues are sent - there are no such accounts. If my personal $30/month isn't used for political action they will simply take an additional $30 from someone else and use my $30 to cover what that $30 would have paid for.

The argument of having no voice is ridiculous. Of course I have no voice. The union couldn't care less what I have to say. They didn't care when I was paying them and they don't care now. I don't follow lock-step with their agenda therefore I'm just a piggy bank to them.