National Board Certification

Discussion in 'General Education' started by novaguy1968, Jul 6, 2017.

1. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 6, 2017

Opinions on it? I've only just begun to explore it.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2017

I don't know anyone who has it. There is no incentive on my district or state for those who achieve this. Nice personal achievement though.

yellowdaisies and novaguy1968 like this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2017

I don't have it myself, but I am considering it, too. I've heard great things about it being the best PD one has ever experienced due to the intense reflection required. My district incentivizes it by moving you to the Ph.D. column of the salary schedule once you've achieved certification. So, the only difference between it and a Ph.D. is that the NB cert must be renewed periodically, while a Ph.D. will never need to be. I don't have any plans to earn a Ph.D. though. If there was no incentive for the NB cert, I would be unlikely to spend my time or money on it. I hear the time required is significant.

otterpop and novaguy1968 like this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 6, 2017

If you can get it -- GET IT! I looked into and studied the exam portfolio and laughed because it's BASICALLY edTPA, which is what I had to do to become licensed. So I may seriously consider it down the road after I get more teaching experience. I know a teacher who has it. We teamed up during my first year to create ''literacy buddies,'' and she was absolutely fabulous! The district did pay $$ for having it. Plus it makes you so marketable and you can go ANYWHERE you want!

novaguy1968 likes this.
  6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 6, 2017

The former principal at my current school was HUGE on national boards. She basically made everyone try for it, so an unusual percentage of my colleagues are certified. There used to be a monetary incentive to do it, as well. They all tell me there's no point now.

novaguy1968 likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 7, 2017

She was probably huge on it so that she could sit around with the other admin and brag about how many NBCT she has on staff. I'm sorry but I've met a lot of admin who are total egotistical narcissists. They just want to be able to compete against their other admin colleagues and boast... :mad:
    My first year we became part of our principal's ego problems. She had told us that they had to all sit at a meeting where each principal presents data about teacher- parent communication and satisfaction (as they had to complete a survey) and her school had the ''worst'' scores/ lowest parent communication. Ironically we were one of the best schools in the district and constantly had parent volunteers, but didn't document it on paper so we couldn't ''prove'' it happened. She told us how she just ''sunk in her chair'' when she saw the stats so she started a new initiative (yeah!) in which we were all required to a) communicate with ALL parents on a fairly regular basis and DOCUMENT it and b) get 100% parent participation in parent -teacher conferences and have them SIGN in so we could turn them in and say ''look, we talk to parents.'' It was my first year teaching which was stressful enough so I just kind of walked in and got swept up into it. I tried my best, but some parents just didn't want to come to parent - teacher conferences but I got the majority of my parents. Still we kept getting emails about "100% of parent participation." :banghead: It got to be a bit much.
    And it wasn't terrible in the sense that it's good to communicate with parents, but the only reason it happened was because our principal's ego was bruised. She felt humiliated as she compared herself with the other principals.
    I guarantee that's WHY (in some small or large part) why the principal wanted NBCT on staff. For the bragging rights.
    :rofl:

novaguy1968 and czacza like this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2017

Isn't it also possible that it wasn't her ego, but, rather, district level admin may have been placing pressure and demands on her to make improvements? Sometimes principals are under a lot more pressure from those higher up than they allow their staff to know. It would be unprofessional of them to complain about the higher ups in front of their staff, so they just take the blame themselves. I've worked for some pretty bad principals who rightly deserved blame, but I think it's unfortunate that teachers are so quick to make judgments without acknowledging that principals have a boss they have to report back to and follow directives from, as well.

novaguy1968 and a2z like this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Jul 7, 2017

No, trust me. She didn't hold back when she disagreed with the initiatives from the ''higher ups'' and there were PLENTY that year to complain about. I actually enjoyed PD's for some of that reason. Is that bad? ;)

novaguy1968 likes this.
  10. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jul 7, 2017

I've just begun looking into it with serious intentions of going for it in the next couple of years. I'm 14 years from retirement, so I'm going to try to time it right so that I may not have to renew. In my state (NC), we get a 12% pay bump if we are National Board certified, so it's definitely worth it. And since my state retirement is based on my salary during my last four years of service, I want to make sure I'm making as much money as possible those years.

I know many people who have attempted with varying degrees of success. Some simply could not pass certain parts for whatever reason. Others got it and said it wasn't all that bad. It's definitely a lot of work though, and I'm sure it is great for you as a teacher. Without the pay bump though, I wouldn't bother.

novaguy1968 likes this.
  11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2017

I've looked into it and have zero interest in jumping through the hoops it seems to require. I don't get it I guess.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2017

They've recently changed their policies so that renewal is required every 5 years now, instead of every 10. So, unless you're holding off for several years, it is likely you'll have to renew at least one time. http://boardcertifiedteachers.org/maintenance-of-certification

13. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jul 8, 2017

Yes, I know. I may have to do one renewal before retirement, but the renewal process looks less daunting, so I won't mind. I'm not in a big hurry though. The years are flying by, and I am wonderful at procrastination. I fully expect to wake up one day and say, "Shoot! I better get on that National Boards stuff if I'm going to complete it before retirement!"

14. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 8, 2017

I'm hoping to do it in the next couple of years. We do get bonus pay for having it and there is also a program I'm hoping will still be in place by the time I get to it that pays for at least some of the fees and provides a cohort/ support structure. Also, though I have no intention of moving, it seems to make certification easier in many states. I also think it looks good for hiring.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2017

While we do receive extra pay ($5,000 a year), and there are tons of support groups throughout the district, I'm preferring to go the other way for the continual certification. Even though that other way will still be tens of hours (maybe more than 100), it'll still be far less than half of the National Boards, and while I'm looking forward to the reflectiveness of it all and it helping me become that much better, anything that takes me away from focusing solely on my kiddos at the time is always frustrating ;).

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 8, 2017

I completed my components last year, and I don't know if I pass until December. It really is a lot of hoops and technicalities to jump through. Another teacher who did it in my cohort (we had a group of us doing it this year in the district) completely failed for what was likely some technicality that she missed. And that's rather crushing especially considering how many hours go into putting together a component. Our mentor teacher was very big into the National Board Certification process, and it did make me reflect on things that I probably wouldn't have done if I didn't need to, but I'm not sure that those reflections really made me any better of a teacher.

I generally did something like the National Boards every year since I became a teacher though (year and 2: BTSA; year 2 and 3: Exploratorium New Teacher Institute; year 4 and 5: National Board; and prior to teaching, the edTPAs like someone mentioned), so I would have felt weird not doing some kind of reflective program like this.

17. novaguy1968

Jul 8, 2017

So if you miss something, you don't get a chance to fix what you missed/did incorrectly?

18. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 8, 2017

I have considered it. I have heard it is a lot of hard work. Honestly, the teachers at my school who have it are some of the worst teachers in my building. Not a good representation of what NBCT is supposedly all about.

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 9, 2017

I was gonna go there, but I didn't. :D My current school is fair...certification seems appropriate/deserved for who has it....but only one person had it at my last school and she was literally THE WORST. Handed out coloring sheets all day, struggled with classroom management, etc. She explained to me once how she somehow achieved certification. Her exact words were "I know what they want us to do, I just don't feel like doing it every day." :eek: I was all "You do you!" :confused:

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 9, 2017

Not without paying for the component all over again. You can pay a couple hundred to have them regrade it if you feel that you just got a bad evaluator, but if you don't do well and you know you have things you need to fix, you need to buy the $500 component all over again and start from the beginning (you can't just use the same evidence and students you used the previous year). You also have a limited time to complete all of the components (I think it's 3 years). There are 4 components in all, so it's overall $2000 dollars. Unless your district reimburses you, I wouldn't pay for it.

otterpop likes this.
  21. novaguy1968

Jul 9, 2017

Dang! Good to know!