Names for Guided Groups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by justfine, Oct 7, 2009.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Oct 7, 2009

Do you name your guided reading groups? I have five groups and I want to come up with creative names for them. Any ideas? Last year, I color coded them. This year, I want to use creative names for the groups. Thanks

3. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Oct 7, 2009

I let my kids name their groups... I tell them to think of things they like or things that relate to reading and to make sure they keep it appropriate... I have names like Secret Readers, Mystery Readers, and Junie B Jones and the Skydiving Bunnies. They are all very cute and the kids love hearing their group name called...

4. nklauste

nklauste Companion

Oct 8, 2009

I was going to suggest the same thing as Just_Beginning, to let each group choose their own name. This gives them some ownership and they get to have some fun with group bonding time to decide on their name.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

I dont name mine, mainly because groups change as the needs of the kids change.

6. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 8, 2009

i named mine after a few of the peanuts characters. the kids loved it!

7. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 9, 2009

Mine are colors. The red team, blue team, etc.

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Oct 9, 2009

I do this, too, but I tell them to be funny. They really love it, and I find a strange picture for their "Where is my Group?" chart.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 9, 2009

The woman I will be LTSing for named hers after the characters in Brown Bear Brown Bear by Eric Carle...so Purple Cats, Brown Bears, Red Birds.

But the Red Birds reminds me of when I was little...and the Sparrows were always the dumb group. The teachers also called them the Robins, Blue Birds, Cardinals, and...duh duh DUH...the Sparrows.

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 9, 2009

Our small reading groups are for approaching, on-level (also called middle for the purpose of naming groups), beyond, and really beyond (for the 2 super high kids). We use non-traditional animal names to name the groups so the kids don't know what level they are in.

Approaching = Aardvark
    On=Level/Middle = Mongoose (or Mongeeses I guess)
    Beyond - Beavers
    Really Beyond - Badgers

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 9, 2009

I don't name my groups... I guess I was always told about the "blue birds, red birds" thing and how stigmatized kids feel. My groupings are pretty flexible and I read with different kids sometimes, or combine groups to work on a specific skill, rather than have a set group.

I just call the 4-5 kids by their names to come to me. Since I do more of a daily 5 type system, the rest of the class doesn't rotate or anything, so it's pretty simple.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 9, 2009

There was a thread a while back... Some teachers did candy bar names and I think sodas or something like that.