Name tags ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 11, 2002

Help, I am a new preschool teacher and have all 3 year olds in my class. I am use to having 5,4 and 3 year olds together in a class. I need some ideas for name tags to help children identify their names. Such as: Do I use all the same pattern? Do I use a diffferent sticker on each name tag? Do I use different shapes? Let me know some of your ideas.

Thank you,

Brenda

3. pmts02

pmts02 Guest

Aug 11, 2002

I would use all the same name tags.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 12, 2002

Have you tried name tags with their picture on it?

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 12, 2002

I would definitely use symbols or shapes (sun, moon, flower, fish, etc...). I have my students name tags on the table covered with contact paper. They all have a symbol (from Ellison Machine), because my younger ones are not ready to recognize their name, but need to know their spot. I've found that the ones that are ready will start to recognize name even if one a symbol. I have written their names on a sentence strip (with no symbol) and put in art center. That way anyone who wants to practice tracing or writing their name can find theirs and do so.

6. pmts02

pmts02 Guest

Aug 12, 2002

I WOULD USE THE SAME NAME TAGS FOR ALL OF THEM.

7. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 12, 2002

nametags

I would use two or three different name tags that go along with the central theme of your classroom. For example, in my KG class my room theme is under the sea. I will be using an octopus, a starfish, and a fish.

8. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 12, 2002

name tags/attendance chart

I use all teddy bears, but 5 different colors. I try not to put names that begin with the same letter on the same color (i.e., I'd put "Chris" on blue and "Casey" on yellow. The teddy bears match the bears over their back pack hooks....
    I have hooks for back packs in my room (no cubbies :( ) . Over each hook I velcro a teddy bear with a child's name on it. When they come in each morning they move their teddy bear to a chart that tells us "Who is here today?" The during morning line time (circle time) we use the teddy bears to talk about who is here and who is not, the colors of the teddy bears of the people who are not here, and the names of the people who are not here. Pretty soon the children recognize each others' names as well as their own.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 12, 2002

I have always used different die cut shapes with their name. The name is on sentence strip attached to the die cut shape. The same die cut with their names on it are in their cubbies. They soon start recognizing their names and those of classmates quite easily.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 12, 2002

Hey, aren't three year olds great? they will very quickly let you know when they are ready to identify their own name in regular black print... in the meantime, giving them clues like stickers or different coloured cards or print is an excellent way to boast their confidence in pre-reading skills. a few weeks of practise and they will be ready for a change-- maybe a different sticker, ect. eventually working toward just plain old black print --a new challenge each time but keeping with the goal of boosting confidence along the way. good luck and have fun!

11. cindyhere

cindyhere Rookie

Aug 12, 2002

hi again forgot to log in first.. that last reply was from me.. hope it helps.

12. jbwalling

jbwalling Guest

Aug 12, 2002

Hey this chat room is great. Thanks for all the ideas about name tags.

Brenda

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 18, 2002

Hi there. I'm from The Netherlands and this is going to be my 2nd year KG. I just totally love it!
    Anyways, I use 3 nametags for 1 child. 1 for their chair, 1 for the activities in the class (they can hang it on a board where all the activities are on) and 1 for the classroom week-activities, like who's watering the flowers, who's taking care of the fish, who're the "helping-hands".
    I use Winnie the Pooh stickers, 1 for each child. On the nametags, I write down their name & they'll get a sticker. So it's really easy for them to learn their name & what their sticker is.
    Even the little ones are recognizing their names after a while and are trying to write it. It's just great.

Well, I really hope you understand it.

Greetz from Holland,
    Angélique