Name badges for beginning of school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by forkids, Aug 10, 2009.

1. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I would like to find a way to do name badges for the first week or two that are easy, inexpensive, and durable. Any good ideas?

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I don't know what grade you are in....But I taught Kindergarten one year and each room had a bear outside of it. Each bear was a different color. Our name tags for the first week or 2 were bears that were printed on construction paper and laminated. We put them on the kids with safety pins, but putting a hole through it and using yarn would work well. With these, anyone in the school knew what teacher the child belonged to just by looking, and the kids name was on it for us teachers to learn.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

Walmart has clear plastic holders and clips. It costs like $5 for a class set. I reuse them yearly- although some get lost or damaged. I have to buy 2 packs of clips and 2 packs of holders for a class set, so after my initial investment, I just can run and buy a pack of clips and/or holders. Which reminds me that I need to check them out and see what (if any) I have to purchase for this year....

5. kem

kem Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I was going to say Walmart too. They're only like a dollar for a pack of 8. After a few years you need to replace the plastic, but the clips are obviously good for a long time!

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

In the past I have laminated construction paper and put string on it (we're not allowed to do the pinned on kind). They always chew on them (Sarge is right about first graders eating things). This year I found 2.55"x3.35" horizontal badge ID holders. Pack of 12 for under $2. They have holes for string. I had ordered blank business cards from vista print (just a design on them) that I wrote the kids' names on. Perfect fit! And the holders seem pretty strong.

7. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I print them up on my computer and get them laminated at Staples -- they have the heavy-duty laminate-- and then I punch holes in them and thread them with ribbon. I really like how they turned out last year so I'm doing it again this year.

Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

Something else you could do is hot glue a clothespin to the back and have the kids clip them onto their sleeves.

8. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

You could create a name badge at
    http://bighugelabs.com/badge.php. Then print, laminate, and punch a hole in them. If you do this before school starts and don't have a photo of them, you could use a clip art of your school mascot or some kind of back to school graphic.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Big Lots has these super cute name tags that students wear on their shirt & then you toss. (36 for $1) You can also use white labels & stick them on the students.
    :D

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

On a side note...I usually provide name tag stickers for subs. I'm thinking this year I will just save the beginning of the year name tags and make them available for the sub if she wants to use them.

11. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

This is what I use for my K class as well. They held up really well last year. I like the clips because then you don't have to worry about taking them off at recess. To store them at the end of the day, get a dollar pocket chart from Target. Put it on the wall upside down and then the kids can just clip their names to the plastic pieces.

12. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I teach 5th and we use sticker name tags. Not my fav for enviro friendlly, but cheap and easy!

13. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I've done the baking Solo plastic cups to make apple name badge necklaces. They are awesome, and I can keep them for field trips! Here's a link to a page with directions...super easy. You'll see it about halfway down the page:

http://www.littlegiraffes.com/firstweek.html

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

FWIW, I did these last year and thought they were adorable. However. My kids played with them until they broke, which left a fairly sharp edge. I finally tossed the lot of the tags out and went with tried and true Felt.

Cut out felt rectangles and use masking tape with sharpie to write the names on. We do use pins. I also learned to put the name on BOTH SIDES so when it flips around, as it invariably does, you can still tell who the kid is!

15. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 12, 2009

Wow, I've never had problems with them breaking. Good to know! Love the idea of putting names on both sides :)