My sister just called.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Aliceacc, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

She's OUT OF STATE at a wedding.

Her friend Sue was on the other line. ( I don't know whether Sue was at the same wedding or at home.) I teach Sue's son. He's a nice enough kid but does absolutely nothing outside of the classroom-- no homework, no projects. He's bright enough that he can usually get by.

He was out of school on Friday and for some reason (parental request??) his guidance counselor wanted to know what work was missing. I told her that he was missing a project that had been due before Memorial Day.

My sister said that Sue wanted the project info. It's Sunday afternoon, the day before the last day of school.

I told my sister to tell Sue that she wasn't able to get a hold of me.
    I hated asking my sister to lie to her friend, but her friend is the one who put her into that position.

Can you believe the nerve????

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2007

Parents like that have absolutely no respect for our profession... We are servants to them.

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 10, 2007

No-you are at home and on YOUR time. I had a horrible set of parents this year that ticked me off with this same kind of stuff. Parents need to let their kids find out the hard way (poor grades=wrath at home?) that slacking in school will lead to all kinds of problems. You did absolutely the right thing. I would have told the parent that it was just too late...a deadline is a deadline. My parent group was so bad this year that I am scared to even ask for help next year. They were just very self-serving and did nothing to help the group as a whole or to make me feel appreciated.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

Had the parent actually called and gotten ME, I would have said that. But I didn't want to put my sister (who, after all, is not paid by my school and is out of state at a wedding!!!!) into an awkward position.

Yet another reason that my kids don't have my home phone number. This issue isn't serious enough to contact school (because Sue knows exactly what they would say-- and it is NOT the details of the math project!!!!)

6. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I would have said the same thing. If the parent was so concerned, why didn't they call sooner before the end of school?

7. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Jun 10, 2007

That takes an awful lot of chutzpah. The boy deserves to fail.

Best reply is to call the school tomorrow, set up a meeting with your administration, and talk about what is going to happen with the boy's grade

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

Actually, my grades are done. He received a zero for the project. It counted as a single test grade.

But it's 7th grade math. His average otherwise is in the 90's. So he'll pass.

It just certainly won't be with those 90's.

And you KNOW I'll be chatting with his guidance counselor before school :)

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2007

Alice good for you.

I actually had a mom call me before I returned from maternity leave saying she couldn't wait for me to come back & how "unfair" the sub was to her child!! Ugh!!!

I didn't give out my number, but we do have it in the phone book! She was the only one who gave me any trouble!!!

Isn't funny that some parents think we just sit around waiting for Monday to come with no lives of our own!!!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

With both of us teaching in schools of 1600+ kids, our number is unlisted :)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 10, 2007

See, there is chutzpah in Catholic schools.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

Absolutely.

After all, we teach the kids. They get consequences when they're out of line.

With the parents, we just shake our heads in amazement.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 10, 2007

Sigh some people just have no clue!

14. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I would've done the same thing. Sometimes, I'd get an email at night, and I'd just pretend that I didn't get it until the next day at school..... which meant the kid was already at school and it was too late to do anything... LOL

15. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I live in another state (20 miles).... And the home phone number is under my mom's name if they search online... LOL... If they ever dare........ it won't be pretty.

Besides, I never answer the home phone. Everyone, who deserves to know, knows our system... Just say, pick up.... Otherwise, we don't answer and the person hangs up.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 10, 2007

Thsi is why I am unlisted and a private caller. Alice, I cant believe she did that.

17. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Jun 10, 2007

We're listed. In the four years we have been here, there has only been two parents call me at home. Each time, the next day we have called them in to the office and in the head principal's office had a long and heavy conversation of why calling teachers at home is inappropriate and could result in the student being removed from my class.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

At one point we had a series of prank calls, referring to "Mr. A..." It was before the whole *69 thing became popular or caller ID. So we've been unlisted for quite a few years.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

The school board has my phone and cell phone numbers. Of course three out of my ten students have parents (two parents) on the school board. One has called me about school stuff. It was because the kids were arguing with their mom, over what the homework was, and I had emailed it home wrong :eek: . Another than that no phone calls. I have even called parents from my home phone to let them know about a strange snow day. We all thought it was a 2 hr delay. Than it was switched to no school. I was afraid the they wouldn't check the news again. So I called them all (six families lol).
    No one has ever called me at the house. My number is listed under my landlords names.

20. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 11, 2007

Having parents like this one, it is easier to understand why some of the students are the way they are. They model the behavior they see. Somehow some parents have translated 24-hour customer service as applying to us! :rolleyes:

21. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Ugh...they never surprise me anymore. During my first year I actually gave my phone number to my room mom and it went fine. The next year I gave it to my new room mom and she called me all the time. She even called me one day while I was out at training and she was in my classroom helping my sub. She didn't like the way the sub was running a class party. I decided that I will never give my number out again! Email works just fine for me.