My room has its own bathroom..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by louisiana, Jul 13, 2007.

1. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Will I be mostly responsible for cleaning of this bathroom. Do I need to purchase cleaning supplies myself?

3. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jul 13, 2007

You are not responsible for cleaning it yourself because the janitor will do it at the end of the school day.

4. louisiana

louisiana Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

thanks

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

I have a bathroom in my classroom. The custodians are in charge of cleaning it and making sure their is TP in the bathroom.

6. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

I, too, have my own bathroom. We are not required to clean them but our custodian doesn't do too great of a job so I have my own cleaning products.

7. latybug

latybug Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

You all are so lucky. I would love to have my own bathroom in my room. How great for you all!!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2007

I have a restroom. The custodian cleans it daily by using toilet bowl cleaner and wiping the seat.

My only concern about this coming year?!? I heard (literally heard) my toilet has a personality of its very own. I was unpacking at the very end of the year and heard GUGGGGGGHHHHUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHguuuggguuggglaaaa for about 10 minutes after I flushed. I know it wasn't me. :eek:

9. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I'm not sure if a bathroom in the classroom is a curse or a blessing... I'll have one in mine, and I'm less than thrilled. My biggest concerns: sounds and smells. When someone is doing their business, it is loud and clear in the classroom. As far as smell...you really can't avoid it in a tiny room with a toilet and no ventilation. We don't have to clean our own though...custodians do it.

10. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

LOL! So true! You can hear everything and then for some reason, some children are not aware of this and will start singing or talking to themselves in the bathroom. It really can be a blessing or a curse. You always have those kids that are trying to go to the bathroom all day long, every day so that has to be stopped. Plus, I have this fear that I'm going to suddenly get sick and need to use the bathroom on an emergency basis and there will be a kid in there! I don't know where my fear is coming from, probably the fact that there is 1 bathroom, no back up if anyone or I needed it for an emergency (being in a portable, it is quite far to the main building, though you could go to the next classroom and interupt them I guess).

11. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 15, 2007

One piece of advice:

DO NOT PUT YOUR READING TABLE NEAR THE BATHROOM!!

(unless you want to either get up and spray Lysol 10 times during reading groups or hold your breath the whole time)

Learned this one from experience:D

12. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 15, 2007

LOL! I'm glad that my small group table is across the room and by the door/windows. :D

13. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

I'm going into a brand new (still being completed) classroom this year...there are THREE bathrooms: boys, girls, adult. And I have an enclosed office space with a window door; it also has a double sink, lots of cabinets and room for my microwave and a fridge if I bring one. This is a Kinder room, but definitely the best I've ever seen! (It's not my permanent home--maybe two years until we rotate--but I will make the best use of it in the meantime!! :-D

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2007

You must be a troll, that sounds too good to be true! :) Just kidding!You're so lucky, congratulations!

15. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

Now remember, Pisces, I teach Kinder--all that comes to mind for me with the word "troll" is Three Billy Goats Gruff. And the troll is NOT a nice guy.... Is there some other redeeming quality of trolls I don't know about???!!!! :-D

16. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

I am soooo jealous! That sounds awesome! All you need is your own copier and you're set! Then again, if you had your own copier, you might never leave your room...I know I wouldn't! :)

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

Okay, don't stone me, but.... last year my room mom (who owns her own business) GAVE ME an old copier! It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it saved me tons of trips to the office, especially "in the midst" of class. Man, oh man, I'm gonna be catching some grief when school starts, I think!! :-D (Honest, I'm not a braggy kinda person, either! But I say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!)

18. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

I am saving up my scholastic points to get a compier for my room. I can't count the number of times I have needed just one more copy of something!

The bathroom thing? I don't think I would like it at all! Everybody needs their privacy!

19. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

I'm with you on the privacy thing, but I am in the classroom so late every day and often on weekends, that it will be a nice convenience instead of running across to the next building or to the office. I plan to "dress up" the adult bathroom a bit with some decorations to make it feel a little less sterile! I know my parent helpers will probably use it too...

20. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

OP-what grade do you teach?

My best friend taught 1st grade and had a bathroom in her class. She never let the kids use it though (unless it was an emergency)-she turned it into extra storage space and the kids used the hall bathrooms just like everyone else!

21. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

I don't think I would like having a bathroom in my room. I could see students getting the giggles every time they "hear" someone using the bathroom. Plus, there a lot of kids who aren't comfortable using the bathroom so close to other people. In the past, when a student has complained of a stomach ache, I've sent them to the bathroom to "see if it helps." I don't know how many kids would be comfortable if the bathroom were in the classroom. Not to mention the smell, like some other posters have mentioned.