My rights....Help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dana606, Feb 14, 2017.

1. dana606

dana606 New Member

Feb 14, 2017

Hi,
    As a teacher, I am not always sure of my rights and who protects me in different situation. I do not have a union and the administration is somewhat supportive. I wanted to know what my rights are regarding a parent who is threatening me on Facebook (looking like its "funny" and no name mentioned) . Her post started by asking for prayers and patience (referring to a meeting we were about to have) then the "support" from friends began leading to posts after the meeting where she talks about not holding in her attitude and a friend responded with "Who do we need to ( two knife emojis) tomorrow?" The parent referred to taking a trip in the direction of where I live ( those were not the exact words) Then the conversation continued with people saying does she need bail money? and parent responding that she's old enough not to get caught. Last parent said we they have a few tricks up there sleeves. Now there was NO history of arguments with this parent, her child has not been "in trouble" to cause such an anger in this person.
    So my question is what are MY RIGHTS as a teacher? All these parents and children have rights and I am held to numerous confidentiality rules along with watching anything I say on social media-which I am NOT friends with any students or parents. I would appreciate any guidance . Thank you

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2017

I would take this issue to the administration.

Also, how are you connected on social media with this parent? If it is your site, it's time to shut it down. If it is not your site, it's time to remove yourself from that site also.

MrTempest likes this.
  4. dana606

dana606 New Member

Feb 14, 2017

I am not connected at all on social media someone saw it and showed it to me I have brought up with admin but don't know if they are going to do much

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2017

Reschedule to a time when admin can sit in on the meeting with you.

6. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 14, 2017

Definitely report this incident right away and make sure that it is put on record. Unfortunately, some school administrations will just look the other way, so you should also report this to the police. Most of all, this incident must be put on record because if if goes unreported and these parents actually do assault someone, the police will question why no one ever reported these parents' threats. Making threats is a felony. Usually if no one reports the incident, then the culprit just continues to get worse. I'm sorry that you're going through this.

Leaborb192 and MrTempest like this.
  7. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2017

I agree with the first stop being the admin. It's hard from your posts to know exactly what's motivating the parents to do this. Personally if I thought they were just blowing off steam sure to frustration with my policies or something I'd be inclined to talk with the parents directly, with admin present.

Otherwise, if I were in a reasonably sized town the next step would be to report it to the police.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 2, 2017

Definitely make sure there is an administrator with you for this meeting. Even if they don't take the screenshot as a direct threat to your safety, they should at least acknowledge there is discomfort on your side and the possibility of escalation on the parent's side.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 2, 2017

I agree with other posters and would go so far as to say I would never meet alone with this parent, I would make sure admin is always present. Next step, get the kid out of my class. It is only a detriment to the student to have a parent feel this way towards the teacher. The parent is/will/can undermine everything you are doing in class with regards to their child.