my last year

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by NewTeacher2016, Sep 30, 2018.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2018

Here, this type of position would require extensive experience, typically within the district. Teaching across a variety of grade levels would also be expected.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 6, 2018

I wish to oversee primarily middle through high school STEM students. Is there a program for these age groups or is it just across *all* grade levels, so including elementary?

And thank you for your response!

3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 6, 2018

I'm just confused because (unless I'm mixing you up with another poster) you are often discussing how you think the private system is better public system, so I don't understand why you would want to work in a District position? District positions require that you believe in and advocate for the system. Moreover, I've never heard of someone getting a District job without working as a classroom teacher in the District first. Haven't you said you don't see yourself leaving your private school?

4. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Oct 7, 2018

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 7, 2018

I think this varies greatly from area to area. In my district, and districts around us, there are Curriculum Directors, who have classroom experience and who have also been principals.

6. futuremathsprof

Oct 7, 2018

You are correct in that I think *my* private school is better, but I can’t say anything about other private schools. With that said, I said a few times if I found the right opportunity that pays well enough, I might consider taking an admin position elsewhere. Does that make sense?

7. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 7, 2018

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me at all. We need people in public education who believe in public education and working for a system one doesn't believe in just because it pays well enough doesn't make sense to me at all.

I've also never heard of anyone getting a District job (teacher or P/VP job) without working in a school in the District first.

8. futuremathsprof

Oct 7, 2018

People work at jobs for the money all the time. For instance, I have a few doctor friends that went into medicine just so they can make $10,000+ a month. And they still are great doctors and care for their patients, but their primary motivation is money.

That is not new. Not everyone does it just for the job. I’m doing it for the job AND the money.

Second, in order to keep my hypothetical job at the district office, I would have to do a satisfactory job and so I would be very keen about doing the best I possibly could as an employee to stay hired.

Concerning your last point, I’ve read about a number of instances where districts hired out for people who did not work in the district previously. It can happen. Though it does not in your area, it can happen elsewhere.

Finally, I absolutely love my school and teaching, but if I found a job that offered better benefits and a much higher salary, then I would take it. We all have different preferences and that’s okay.

9. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 7, 2018

Absolutely Districts hire people from outside, but it is very rare that people from outside get hired into central (District) positions and I have honestly never heard of someone who has never worked in the public system being hired into a District (Central) role.

I do often hear of Superintendents with experience as Principals in public systems often get hired as Superintendents in other Districts.

I think if you want to work in a District role, you need to start looking for jobs in a District within a school - either as a teacher or as a VP.

I would be really curious to hear specific examples of situations where people in public systems have seen this specific combination happen: a private school teacher hired directly (with no public school experience) into a Central role in a District.

If I remember correctly you are in California? I'd love to hear YTG's experience with this as someone who has expressed interest in a District role and has (I think) more than 5 years experience as a VP?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  10. futuremathsprof

Oct 7, 2018

So should I apply first as a VP and then work my way up from there?

I was planning on getting an Ed.S or Ed.D in STEM Leadership by the time I’m 30 and then apply for district jobs. Does that seem sensible or should I first work as a VP first? Would I need to be a P after and then apply for a district office job?

11. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 7, 2018

Honestly, I don't know any public school that would hire someone straight into a VP job out of a private school either. In my experience, you need public school teaching experience for any of those roles: VP, District, etc.

So in my experience, you would need to become a public school teacher first. Then, depending on if District positions are teaching positions or administrative positions, you would either apply to a District position (teaching) or apply to a VP position and then apply to a District position (VP District) or then apply to a Principal position and then a District position (P District)

If you want a comprehensive answer, your posts point to a lack of understanding of how the public system works, so if I was on the hiring team I wouldn't feel comfortable putting you in a leadership position without some public classroom experience first.

However, you keep posting about how you are going to do x, y and z and how I don't know your region, so if private school teachers in your region are getting hired into VP jobs in public schools, have at it. Where I am, doing that would lead the hiring team to see you as too confident/arrogant and you'd never get interviewed for any job ever again. Where I am, you have to transfer laterally first. But you keep saying my region is different from yours. You know your region.

I feel pretty confident that in no region does a private school teacher get hired into a District job because District jobs have a ton of qualified, internal applicants and no sane District would hire externally into that role. I've actually only seen one example of a role below Superintendent at the District level get hired externally and that was by a person with 15 years teaching experience in the public system who had an extremely special skill set.