My Iphone won't ring anymore when I receive phone calls. Any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

I've had my iphone for about 6 months now. It's been working fine until recently. Anytime anyone calls, I see the name pop up, I can answer it, but it won't ring. I can listen to music, I have all of the normal sounds, it just won't ring when someone calls me. I've checked the settings, made sure it was all the way up, I don't have any fancy schmancy ringtones (so it's not corrupted or anything). Any ideas on why this is happening?

3. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 27, 2011

Have you tried restoring your iPhone? I've had to do this two or three times and still need to do it again, as my phone is going slower than I'd like it too. It may help.

Oh and that switch on the side… make sure it's covering the red dot. If the red dot is showing, it's on mute. I've hit it a few times without realizing; though sometimes it's nice not to hear my phone ring! LOL

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

Pop the battery out and back in again.

5. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Feb 27, 2011

same thing happened to my wife's iphone, as chrissteeena pointed out it's probably the switch on the side which has put it in silent mode, where you can hear everything but it won't ring.

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2011

Mine won't either and it's not on silent or vibrate! I've tried plugging it into the computer to update. Do you have an iPhone 3?

7. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Feb 27, 2011

not sure about the iPhone 3, but with the iPhone 4 if the switch on the side is flipped it won't matter what the ring settings are, it won't ring...took me about 10 minutes to figure out that's what happened to my wife's phone, all the software settings were fine, it was the switch.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

I have the iphone 3GS. I don't know about this switch you guys are talking about. I'll take it out of the otterbox tomorrow, but I have a feeling this is something that is only found on the iphone 4.

I think I may need to reboot my phone, but I don't want to because I FINALLY got all of my songs onto my iphone. Plus, I will have to reinstall all of my apps (and I hope all of my important ones are still up for downloading)

I think I will take it to an Apple store next week and have them try to fix it.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2011

I have the iPhone 4, but my husband has an iPhone 3, so I just ran downstairs to look at it. It has the exact same switch, but it's a tiny bit smaller. When you're looking at the phone screen, it's on the left side of the phone, by the top. It could possibly be covered by your case. I just tried it out on mine-if it's in the wrong position you can still play music, you just won't hear calls. It's how I turn my phone on silent. You will want to make sure you slide it up, so the red dot is covered. I would look for that before you take it in.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

Oh, okay. I will take the otterbox off and check it later then. I'm too lazy to get up and grab it. Thanks Far. I hope that is what the issue is!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

THANKS! It was the little switch. Heh, I didn't even know I had it. I also learned that I didn't have to go through the trouble of taking the otterbox off; there is a little tab you pull back to see the switch. THanks guys! Boy am I glad that was an easy solution.