My Interview Today

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Aces

Aces Cohort

Nov 27, 2018

Had my interview today. Overall it went really well, although I was quite nervous. He asked a lot of questions that I would say were more about people skills and things rather than directly about the actual job. For instance he asked something along the lines of say you're in the Walmart checkout and the cashier is stumbling a little but apologizing. How do you handle the situation?

He said I was well prepared for the interview, but he felt I wasn't prepared for the role and he didn't want to get me in over my head. Which of course we all knew that. He asked if I had applied to any VP positions which I have and we mentioned the VP they've got in the district at the middle school. He said he wants to put me in that role, give me the admin experience before he throws me to the sharks so to speak. So he's going to talk to the Principal over there, see what he thinks. Said I should know something either end of this week or beginning of next week.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Nov 27, 2018

Sounds like a good question - really administration is all about people skills - I'm surprised that your team's next step is to talk to the P at the other school - great sign - just surprised that they ask the P's opinion. Where I work all those decisions are made by the SOs without input from the school teams.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Cohort

Nov 27, 2018

I'm not sure what an SO is, maybe the equivalent of a Superintendent or so? But yeah he said he was going to get the P's opinion. And yes I agree, it is how you handle people situations alot of it. He said he definitely wanted me in his district as an admin, but I wasn't ready for the full Principal position just yet.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 28, 2018

So, he said what we all said about being a VP first. Sounds like you did as well as could be expected.

Aces likes this.
  6. Aces

Aces Cohort

Nov 28, 2018

I agree, yes. I mean shoot, I said the same thing, so I mean. It's not like I would have walked away empty handed anyways. But I knew I wasn't going to get the p job outright.

7. greendream

greendream Cohort

Nov 28, 2018

Respectfully disagree. I'm an administrator, and when I hire other administrators, the skills I look for are organization, budgeting, and technological competence. People skills are way, way down the list.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 28, 2018

Learning the school budget is easy. One can also learn about technology from professional development courses (for example, Google certification classes). However, interpersonal skills are crucial. If one doesn't have proper people skills, they'll fail as an administrator (in my humble opinion). Yes, I am a highly organized administrator--but if I didn't know how to properly communicate with my staff (both verbally and non-verbally) , I'd be an ineffective leader.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2018

Paralleling to teachers: teachers are certainly hired for high quality teaching, but their ability to work with kids and interact is certainly a huge part, too. If I'm off-putting, I'm not going to get hired to work with kids, much like an off-putting adminstrator would be unlikely to get hired to manage 30-50+ adults.

10. greendream

greendream Cohort

Nov 28, 2018

Again, I disagree. I hear people say this all the time about people skills, but to me those are easier to teach than tech skills and budgeting. There are tons of professional development classes on "soft skills."

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 28, 2018

Could you clarify what “SOs” are, please?

12. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Nov 28, 2018

Yes there are classes on soft skills but I would argue that soft skills are a lot more difficult to teach. I work in a co-teaching role and I see so rarely a teacher that can't learn something like a new piece of technology with the right mind set and far more often I see people of all ages find it harder to improve on their soft skill sets. That's my 2 cents.

Irrespective Greendream maybe they hire differently where you are.

In my region teachers and Principals are hired based on people skills. Ps do need to have hard skills (like budgeting) but to even get their certification they have to demonstrate that they can do this. What separates the qualified but not hired people from the people who get hired are the soft skills/ EI/ people skills.

There is a whole chart of the skills required to be a P and the key ones that are considered in hiring are the soft skills - I'd say 80% of the hiring process is soft skills.

Sure if someone can't do the tasks assigned they won't get the job but 99.99% of teachers who have 3 degrees, 10 years experience and the 1/2 dozen qualifications that are required to apply have the core skills. That just gets them to the interview (same as teaching). It is the soft skills that determine who out of the 10 qualified people actually get the job.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 28, 2018

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this!

14. Aces

Aces Cohort

Nov 28, 2018

So as far as skills go, budgeting is simple. I'm a budgeting wiz. Uh technical skills, such as what? Because I'm thinking computer skills and such. Because if that's the case, I'm good on that department. But at the end of the day, based on my conversation with the superintendent, I'm not being considered because I can use a spreadsheet. It's more people skills than anything.

mathmagic, MrsC and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 29, 2018

You can get hired if you are a desirable candidate on paper and happen to pass the interview depending on which questions were asked but if you don't have people skills and are a weirdo (like my last principal) you won't last very long!!!!

Aces likes this.