My classroom management is improving!! :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Mar 8, 2018

I have shared a lot about several of the classroom management issues that I have been having in my student teaching. I am working in an urban district and all of the teachers say that this year, our group of 8th graders is very difficult. I finally feel like my classroom management is getting better and the kids are respecting me as a teacher. I no longer have any interruptions during my lessons with yelling across the room and the kids are really following my directions.

Yesterday, I was pulling a group of kids to another room, and another kid who wasn't supposed to be there ran in, shut the door, and wouldn't let anyone else in. As soon as he saw that I came by, he immediately stopped being silly and opened the door. I also had another kid (severe behavioral issue) walk out on our small group. I went to go get him, gave him a warning, and he apologized and came back to the group. While this kid walked out of the room, another kid walked out, and he immediately went back in when he saw me. Things like this would never happened at the beginning of the year! My mentor also said that my classroom management has improved and the kids are listening to me. I still have a long way to go (our classes are definitely not perfect and we still do have lots of behavior problems), but I have stopped feeling anxious about going to school every day and I at least have some strategies to deal with misbehavior. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the advice I have received on here because it has been so helpful!

3. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Mar 8, 2018

Way to go!! You've been working hard at this, so I'm glad it's starting to pay off! :)

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 8, 2018

Good work! What a happy realization.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 8, 2018

Keep at it! The more consistent you are with your strategies the better your classroom and behaviour management will be. Congratulations!

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Mar 9, 2018

That's awesome! What specific strategies are working for you?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Mar 9, 2018

That's great news!!! :) :) :)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Mar 11, 2018

Part of it is that the kids are getting more used to me. My mentor said that I have also started expecting that the kids will listen to me when I give a direction as a whole class or to an individual student.

I have started to be clear about directions and enforce expectations. For example, if I say that I need it to be quiet, I have started waiting until I get 100% attention. I have also started to understand what each student needs to have their behavior redirected. Some kids just need a "please get back to work", while others need a "_____, you have a warning. You are not allowed to __________."

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 11, 2018

Relationships are EVERYTHING. Congrats on being consistent and taking the time to reflect & improve. It will only get better from here, as long as you keep doing what is working.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Mar 11, 2018

Thanks!! I sometimes worry that I am too firm or "mean" but my mentor said that I just know what I expect of the students. She said that I am definitely not being mean to the kids. It's a new role for me though so I am still getting used to being a teacher.

11. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 11, 2018

Yay!! Once they get used to you and see you as an authority, they will listen much better. 8th graders are a breed of their own ;)