My class is QUIET!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 11, 2012

You'd think this would be awesome (it actually is really nice) but a teacher asked me if my class was in trouble. They were all just sitting at their tables quietly, and he thought I was punishing them!

They really are super quiet. I basically have to force them to pair-share and discuss things, work together, talk out some ideas. I have about 4 kids who raise their hands to speak, but it's like pulling teeth!

I know this isn't much of a problem, and better than a class of talkers who won't stop.... but I do want to encourage discussion and sharing.

Any ideas?

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

I have a mutual solution. I have about 11 students I could trade with you. Then you would have half talkative and half quiet and I then would have half talkative and half quiet! I have a very expressive group this year.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 12, 2012

MissFroggy, if you have a quiet class and you have a zany personality, you have the perfect opportunity to go all out. I had a fairly quiet class last year and by being over the top, I was able to get kids to break out of their shell.

Now this year, I have exactly the opposite problem. I am big on students sharing and learning off one another, but my class is extremely loud and hyperactive. It's to the point that it's more counterproductive and a waste of class time to have them working in groups because no one can hear each other.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 12, 2012

This sounds like my group! I would love a quiet group because that is my nature!

Sometimes when no one is participating I act shocked and say, "No one knows?? Oh no!" Then someone will put up their hand and I'll say, "Oh good, Jimmy knows!" Then more and more start to raise their hands and I praise each one, "Oh wonderful Susie and Sally know too!" Finally I'll say, "Help us out Billy. Tell us what..."

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 12, 2012

Funny, I was just about to post something like this.

Last year's class, I couldn't get them to stop talking for anything! I had a highly linguistic class with a great combination of theater-type students.....they read extremely well when it came to our story time!

This year? I can hear crickets when I start working my magic of engagement.

There's just something different about this bunch that I can't quite put my finger on just yet.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

Well, now that you put it out to the universe it will probably change. LOL